Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - TR7

I drive 40000 miles a year and have a budget of about 8k to spend max with a 5 year old i30 as p/x.

What would you recommend. Mazda 6 diesels are in my budget with around 50k on the clock are they still unreliable? I've heard a few horror stories.

Also considering a petrol Avensis but worried about mpg.

Any advice is appeciated.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - Engineer Andy

Even though I'm not exactly a fan of diesels, if you do more than 20-25k miles pa then diesels should be fine, as long as they are not all town driving/short journeys. If its all town driving (jig-jog traffic), normally I'd recommend either a small petrol or hybrid, but given your mileage and budget, they wouldn't be suitable.

My guess is that you do reasonable length journeys, so a diesel should be fine - most of the problems associated with them come with using them on short journeys of less than 10 miles/15 minutes running.

The Mazda 6 is quite lareg compared to the i30 - do you need something as big as a Mondeo? You may want to consider the Mazda 3, which comes in both 1.6 and 2.2 TD guises, or similar cars from Toyota, Honda etc if you wish to pick from Japanese only. The i30 does have diesels available as well. If you're looking for a car with useful load space, then go for the Focus-sized estate cars (no Mazda 3 though), as they're likely to still be cheaper than the hatch Mondeo-sized ones, plus the flat back may help in parking.

I have a Mazda 3 saloon, which does come with 400 litres of boot space (abot 350 in the hatch with the parcel shelf in), but has a small boot aperture (difficult to put large cube-shaped boxes in, but fine for suitcases) and can be a bit tricky to reverse-park without sensors due to the high boot line. A shame as i think it looks much nicer than the hatch. The 6 is a good-looking car in all guises (even the early models do as well).

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - Collos25

Judging by the expensive problems that people have with Mazda diesels I would personally stay away from them.There appears to a problem with the injectors and an expensive problem which Mazda do not seem to acknowledge google this web site for more info.

I thought they used PSA/Ford diesels (the 1.6 is - not sure about the 2.2) - wouldn't they suffer similar faults?

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - corax

On long runs you'll get an easy 40mpg or more with a 1.8vvt. They are very good.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - thunderbird

On long runs you'll get an easy 40mpg or more with a 1.8vvt. They are very good.

OK, 40 mpg out of a petrol would be very good but the 1.8 Avensis I test drove was a boring slug at best.

But doing 40000 a year you will save at least £1500 a year in fuel with a diesel.

And a diesel is always a better more relaxing drive.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - Bobbin Threadbare

If you have an i30 and you like it then another mid-sized hatch is a goo option. The Mazda 3 is a good drive and no issues with the diesels, unlike its big brother. Nice looking car too. Skoda Fabias are well rated too, but a lot uglier in my POV!

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - jamie745

Not sure I'd fancy 40k in a little hatchback.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - skidpan

If you have been happy with the i30 why not get a new one. Also look at the new Kia Ceed, cracking car.

Not seen any reports of DPF issues with either car.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - Bobbin Threadbare

I did 30k in one. Entirely depends on comfort, for that much mileage, in my view.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - unthrottled

Petrol isn't going to hold a candle to diesel at this kind of mileage. You could tease low 40's out of the 1.8vvt, but with the same driving style you'd easily achieveg mid to late fifties out of a comparable diesel-and you get the in-gear acceleration will be far superior.

Mazda 6 - I drive 40000 miles a year - TR7

Thanks for the replies. Having done 40k in an i30 i want something that is more refined although the 1.6 cdi is a great engine no reliability issues.

Sounds like a 2 - 2.2 lire diesel is the option to go for, whichever car you choose. Best of luck.