What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Falken tyres -just an observation. - HandCart

I’ve just walked by a brand-new VW Up and noticed it was fitted with Falken tyres.

I know Ford have been fitting Hankooks for quite some time, and I’ve also noticed they’re no longer quite as cheap as they used to be – perhaps reflecting their better reception nowadays (their Optimo 4S appears to be one of the very best 4-seasons tyres, bar none).

I know Falkens have also been held in quite high regard by those that have given them a punt.

My point is, that if VW are fitting them as original equipment (even if on their cheapest car), Falkens are likely to take a step-up in credibility amongst the wider public.

(and no, I don't work for Falken!)

Falken tyres -just an observation. - Auristocrat

VW are also fitting Kumho tyres to some versions of the Polo.

Falken tyres -just an observation. - Collos25

Probably all season tyres fitted as a request of the customer

I might be wrong, but I tend to think not- they were definitely the 'Sincera' range, which doesn't appear to be all-season or winter.

;-)

Falken tyres -just an observation. - Collos25

I have used Falken tyres both summer and winter types without any problem so why not fit them as standard anything to cut costs .

Falken tyres -just an observation. - daveyjp
VW up is built to a low price, a few pounds on each tyre helps them meet the target price.
Falken tyres -just an observation. - Happy Blue!

I have Kumhos on my S-Max, fitted by me after the Contis wore out. My fitter is a well respected firm and told me that it wasn't worth spending the extra on premium European tyres. Certainly I get the same level of grip, and for money saved I get a little (almost immeasurable) increase in road noise, about 5% greater wear and little change in economy, for a saving of 20% in cost.

Falken tyres -just an observation. - Auristocrat

We fitted a set of 4 Kumho Ecsta's on our Mazda 2 last August - they were fine. Gave reasonable grip throughout the winter, and were noticably quieter and less harsh than the original Pirelli P Zero Nero's.

The replacement for the Mazda - a new Hyundai i20 - also has Kumho's fitted.

I saw that Up again today and this time took a closer look. They're SN831A Ecorun 'models'. Typed that into google and found this:

www.srigroup.co.jp/english/ir/corporate/2012/2012-...l

which nails it.

It's quite fair enough by me - I just seem to have developed a peculair habit of looking what tyres are fitted on things!

It'll be interesting (well, to me) if we ever see the day when Mercs are being shipped with, say, 'Sunny' tyres...!

;-)

Falken tyres -just an observation. - primeradriver

There is quite a big block of second-tier manufacturers that produce high quality tyres, and I don't see much point in using the premium brands unless the prices are similar (which they sometimes are).

Toyo, Falken, Hankook, Khumo, Uniroyal and increasingly Nankang are all brands that I would have no problem with fitting to my car.

Falken tyres -just an observation. - Roly93

There is quite a big block of second-tier manufacturers that produce high quality tyres, and I don't see much point in using the premium brands unless the prices are similar (which they sometimes are).

I think the premium brands are just spending too much money on advertising and sponsorship of Formula 1 to keep their prices reasonable. Especially Pirelli and Bridgestone whose tyres I am rather sceptical about.

Falken tyres -just an observation. - Roly93

I’ve just walked by a brand-new VW Up and noticed it was fitted with Falken tyres.

I love Falkens and am on my 3rd set (Audi A4). Great VFM never have balancing issues, okay in wet reasonable lifespan and less noise than some premium brand tyres. Though they have a lowish score on the new energy saving ratings.