'New' small automatic . - maximus

The time has come and it looks like a new small car is required for wife. Must be auto,preferably with low V.E.D. Any suggestions/recommendations. Probably prefer japanese -korean. Also, when I say new I mean newish, or pre reg etc.

Many thanks for any input. Max.

'New' small automatic . - retgwte

my shortlist would be hyundai i20 or i10, suzuki swift, mazda 2

Perodua Myvi is also good

'New' small automatic . - jamie745

Perodua Myvi is also good

No. It isn't. Not even a little bit. Not even sort of, or slightly.

myvi isnt that bad

not as good as my earlier shortlist

but at least it has a proper auto gearbox and is based on sound jap under pinnings although built in malaysia

been in loads and i like them

much better than the ford/vauxhall offerings

but each to their own

'New' small automatic . - Avant

As it's based on Japanese mechanicals it should be fine, if unexciting to drive: I'd be worried about parts peculiar to the Myvi, as I can't see Proton surviving in the UK for very long as sales are so low.

The main thing is to go for a proper automatic, not one of those semi-automatic gearboxes which are jerky, unreliable and generally the invention of the devil. The VW Group DSG is better - I have one myself - as it's a double clutch set-up: but this too has had problems in the case of the 7-speed transmission.

'New' small automatic . - Collos25

I have just taken delivery of a Prius T spirit and I believe in the UK its zero rated for tax its auto and extremely economical.

'New' small automatic . - Falkirk Bairn

VW UP- announced with ASG gearbox - automated manual gearbox - £600 more than the manual version - which looks cheap for a 2-pedal upgrade.

'New' small automatic . - maltrap

Whilst on the subject of the VW UP, looking round a new one in a VW showroom, popped my head in the boot and asked "what size is the spare wheel" to be told rhere isn't one it's an extra ! Couldn't believe it.

'New' small automatic . - madf

I have just taken delivery of a Prius T spirit and I believe in the UK its zero rated for tax its auto and extremely economical.

A HSD Auris - second hand - is smaller and cheaper and similar lack of VED. A Prius by UK standards is not small...

'New' small automatic . - Collos25

Seems very small at the side of the C5 that it replaced the Auris was an option didnot seem much smaller but is probably with hindsight the better of the two.