What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka/Golf Mk1V - E10 fuel - jonjon1

I live in France and E10 fuel is now being sold everywhere at a cheaper price that normal 95 octane. Is there a website which explains which cars are compatible as the only one I can find is an Australian version saying that you cannot use E10 in a Ford Ka or Focus. I think this is wrong!

Ford Ka/Golf Mk1V - E10 fuel - unthrottled

So do I. Reformulated petrol (petrol with added ethanol) have been used for a long time n the US in a bid to cut air pollution in the cities. I don't think there have been too many difficulties with E5/10. E85 is a very different proposition! I don't think the concentration of ethanol is high enough to cause any problems with rubbers or plastics in the fuel system. There may be a slightly increased risk of varnishes forming on the intake valves stems.

Edit. Actually, the varnish problem affects direct injection petrols. So VW clear the use of E10 for all their vehicles, except first generation FSI engines (codes BAD, BKG, BAG, AXU, AXW).

Ford, like most US manufacturers, clears the use of E10 in all their petrol vehicles. The one exception is the 1.8 SCI Mondeo.

Edited by unthrottled on 19/08/2012 at 11:15

Ford Ka/Golf Mk1V - E10 fuel - jonjon1

Thanks unthrotled.

Interestingly the only website I could find with a list of compatible cars is www.flexfuelkit.com.au/articles/8/1/Can-my-car-use...l.

This is an Australian web site and states that E10 is unsuitable for pre 2004 Focus, All Ka's and Mondeos, which is contrary to everything else I have read.

My local petrol station, has a warning on the pump saying you should check with the car manufacturer before using it on pre 2002 cars.

Pretty disappointing that Shell, who sell most of it have nothing on their general public web site and a search under E10 compatibility shows no results. Pretty pathetic in my view

Ford Ka/Golf Mk1V - E10 fuel - unthrottled

www.e10bensiini.fi/e10_compatible_motors/

Ford Ka/Golf Mk1V - E10 fuel - Arb

"I live in France and E10 fuel is now being sold everywhere at a cheaper price that normal 95 octane. Is there a website which explains which cars are compatible as the only one I can find is an Australian version saying that you cannot use E10 in a Ford Ka or Focus. I think this is wrong!"

I live in France also, according to a list I saw at a BP station one can use e10 on a Focus from 2000 onwards, the problem mine was built in Jan 2000 and I never took the risk. The problem in my region (Provence Cote D'Azur) it's now almost impossible to find the normal 95 grade.

I recently bought a new Fiesta (thinking this shouldn't pose a problem) but I cannot use E10 in this either , according to the dealer without an adaptor whatever that is?