Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - CliffDee

I am a huge fan of sliding rear doors on cars and think they are a great idea but can not agree with HJ when he says "it offers the best access of any small car".

For easy access you need to be able to slide in and out. HJ looks like a high jumper viewed side on as he curves around the leading edge of the door.

Ford missed a huge opportunity to really provide easy access. If only the door went back another 4 inches to expose the seat back to allow people to step in or out.

Also what is so great about not having a B pillar? When was the last time you thought "drat that B pillar stopped me getting in or out easily"?

Like the car but seems a bit small for me, maybe a cmax or and smax.

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - madf

Also what is so great about not having a B pillar? When was the last time you thought "drat that B pillar stopped me getting in or out easily"?

Like the car but seems a bit small for me, maybe a cmax or and smax.

there speaks someone who is young or who has no elderly relatives to transport or no pushchairs ...:-)

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - CliffDee

there speaks someone who is young or who has no elderly relatives to transport or no pushchairs ...:-)

Been there done that.

Not young but not yet elderly.

Elderly relatives still find the side limbo into any seat difficult when the edge of the door extends beyond the seatback when the door is open. They want to slide not wriggle.

I had a Mk1 Berlingo and that was a brilliant car for kids to get in the back but not the elderly. The opening was just not big enough and sadly neither is this. Getting out was no easier for the elderly as you have to move your bottom off and forwards, supporting your body weight on bent knees before exiting sideways.

I fully accept HJ's point about slotting wheelchars behind the front seats being easier but not so sure about the pushchairs. Surely the best place for them is the boot as modern pushchairs are enormous anyway.

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - Avant

Interesting one this - when I retire we'll probably get a car to last some time, rather than changing every 3 years or so as we do now. Looking ahead it would be sensible to get something that you can get straight into, rather than climbing either down or up.

A B-Max or C-Max could well be possibilities - at least we'll be getting into the front rather than the back.

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - Bobbin Threadbare

My nana gets in and out of a Toyota Celica with no probs. She's almost 90, and she struggles with a lot of other cars. Having said that, my mum, who has barely reached her half century, does not like my new car.....MX-5 is too hard to get up out of apparently. I might suggest a B-Max :-D

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - Carole4X4
My dad is totally disabled and cannot even take a single step on his own therefore I have to lift him from his wheelchair and into the car. We have had a berlingo III which I have to admit was okay for him but the heavy tailgate meant I usually just put his folded chair behind the front seats as the sliding doors made it easy to get it in, the grand scenic we had next (following the catastrophe of mechanical faults the berlingo had) was slightly harder for him but still accessible, the Megane 3 was great to get him in but awkward to get him out of plus a catalogue of breakdowns.
The Qashqai we have now is by far the easiest for him as I can get him out of the chair, turn him round and plonk his bum on the seat, swivel him in and lift his legs in, getting out is also child's play, quick swivel round feet on the ground and an almost slide like movement into his chair.
I am also disabled and find the Qashqai easy for access and egress with my limited mobility in my back and legs. The tailgate isn't too heavy to lift and with the level load lip it's simplicity to get the chair or my scooter into the boot.

I also find for myself that my Discovery 300tdi is a doddle to get in and out however it's slightly too high for my dad.

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - bathtub tom

>>does not like my new car.....MX-5 is too hard to get up out of apparently.

I hate it when my daughter asks me to service hers, with the hardtop on. The passenger seat's good with the top off, the driver's seat I can also manage, but the driver's seat with the hardtop on...................?

Wait until you're old and decrepit!

Ford B-Max - Ford B-Max 2012 Road Test - Bobbin Threadbare

They're designed for small people. It's a pocket rocket. :-)