What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Zafira (58 Reg) design - Battery can't hold charge - Cieurniht

The battery in my wife's Zafira is playing up.

Once the car is stopped and left alone, with nothing on, there seems to be no problem, car starts fine every time. But if (as I have done twice now) put the radio on for 30 mins max whilst washing / cleaning etc, when you come to start the car again, the battery seems more or less dead. The central locking, ignition lights, indicators etc may or may light, starter motor clicks and will not turn. Jump start works every time and give it a 10-15 minute drive, battery is as good as new (providing you do not do any of the above!).

Before I go and splash out on a new battery, is this just likely to be a battery at the end of its life or something more technical / sinister?

Thanks.

Vauxhall Zafira (58 Reg) design - Battery can't hold charge - elekie&a/c doctor

A good battery should cope easily with a radio being left on for 30 mins+.Looks like new battery reqd.Check out vauxhall GM main dealer prices,not as expensive as you might think.hth

Vauxhall Zafira (58 Reg) design - Battery can't hold charge - Wurzel83

I presume its a Sealed Battery rather than one you can top up with De-ironised water?

Vauxhall Zafira (58 Reg) design - Battery can't hold charge - bathtub tom

Have you access to a voltmeter to measure the battery voltage?

One of my cars is losing its charge, but the battery is nine years old!

Vauxhall Zafira (58 Reg) design - Battery can't hold charge - Peter.N.

Classic sign of a low capacity battery, it will provide anought power to start but with very little reserve. Might be worth checking your alternator, battery voltage should be around 14.4 v with the engine running.

Vauxhall Zafira (58 Reg) design - Battery can't hold charge - RT

I presume its a Sealed Battery rather than one you can top up with De-ironised water?

Vauxhall have fitted fully sealed batteries as OE since the '80s. They're normally long-lived, I've had them up to 15 years old - but the odd one does fail early.