What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford KA 1.3i Studio - Auxiliary Belt Noise? - Wurzel83

Hi

Just bought an 07 Reg Ford KA Studio with an 8v 1.3 Duratec engine, 55k miles, full dealer service history and one company owner. We bought it to replace our 52 Reg KA (Endura) which had got to an age and milage where we saw it as a liability so decided to quit while we were winning!

We have done about 200 miles in the new KA and its superb, accept for the presence of a Ticking/swishing noise comming from the engine which not present in our old car. I assumed the Auxiliary Belt was to blame so for the sake of £12 I replaced it with a reputable brand but the noise is still there and although low in volume annoys me! Some findings so far:

1) It is revs and not speed dependant 2) can be heard easiest when idelling or when driving with the windows down between close houses 3) when spraying water or WD40(old belt) there is no change 4) fluid levels all fine 5) turning the steering wheel or putting the rear demister on have no affect 6) I have PAS but no aircon 7) with the old belt removed all pullies/auxiliaries rotated smoothly 8) There is no sqealing or shirping whatsoever 9) No difference after warm up period

I thought the tempo was more in line with the belt cycle rather than the engine speed so I counted 100 reptitions with the car idelling and timed myself. I then did some maths with the belt lenght, Crank Pulley diameter etc to convert the Tempo into RPM and the answer was 750 RPM so this confirmed my original thoughts.

Unfortunately I did not think to start the car with the belt off.

So, firstly is this normal for a KA? Secondly, am I right to assume that because the tempo ties in with the belt cycle that the pullies/auxiliaries are unlikely to be at fault because if they were then the tempo would be allot faster? Thirdly, any ideas as to what I do now?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Update:

Went to look at 3 KAs on the forcourts yesterday, popped the bonnets and none were making the same noise. You could here the hum of the belt but not the repetitive swish.

I have signed up with Photobucket and uploaded a couple of videos which do not really do it justice but you can just make it out.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o629/rcollis/?action=view&current=bc7afaf0.mp4

http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o629/rcollis/?action=view&current=110b9714.mp4

Ford KA 1.3i Studio - Auxiliary Belt Noise? - elekie&a/c doctor

Run the engine with belt off.If the noise disappears,and you are happy that it is not a rotational noise,then it could be the belt tensioner at fault.hth

Thanks. Are the tensioners a common fault on these then? Its 5 years old with 55k miles. The Haynes does not seem to have a procedure for the Tensioner - is it an awkward job? There dont seem to be many aftermarket brands that make the replacement part.
I have taken the Belt off and ran the engine. The noise was still there and sounded exactly the same. The only region I could trace it to was the Crankcase Pulley. Am I right to assume its unlikely to be the pulley its self as its just one solid mass of metal with no parts that move relative to oneanother? Is it common for the oil seal or bearing to fail in this way?

Thanks
Ford KA 1.3i Studio - Auxiliary Belt Noise? - CAMS1972

Hello, did you solve this problem as i have exactly the same problem! I have removed the belt and run the car and the noise is the same so i concluded it was something camshaft related?