What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan - Which Primera - Residesinsurrey

I have a choice of two cars , the importance is fuel economy and reliability . Does anyone have any experience with either that they are willing to share . I have to make a decision today latest tomorrow morning .

1. Nissan Primera , 2000(V) , Mileage 95000, 1.8 March 2013 MOT

2. Nissan Primera 1999(S), Mileage 120000 1.6 July 2013 MOT

Looking forward to your comments . I really need a run around for a year until I can afford a better car.

MANY Thanks

Nissan - Which Primera - thunderbird

They are both very old with a high mileage (may be higher if they have been clocked). Fuel economy will not be great, expect low 30's at best, reliability will be down to shear luck.

Toss a coin.

Nissan - Which Primera - ChannelZ

If fuel economy is your concern, why are you looking at 13 year old Primeras?

If you specifically want a cheap Japanese car, then why not an Almera (1.5 petrol will go well in to the 40s), or Corolla?

Funny you should say that but I was going to buy a Nissan Almera within my budget . The problem is that it has rust on the wheel arch, bottom of the back windscreen wiper and an inch of bubble rust at the side , although , I thought it would clean up well , a friend advised me to stay clear of the car . I did drive like a dream just a shame about the rust . BTW is a 2001 model. its still available though ...

Edited by Residesinsurrey on 08/08/2012 at 16:54

Nissan - Which Primera - 72 dudes

I agree with thunderbird, a bit of a lottery.

At this age and mileage, overall condition is more important. Has one got a better service history? Number of owners? The condition of the interior is often a good indicator of how well the car has been cared for so look carefully.

Personally I think the Almera is hideous to drive and would plump for a Primera every time, but it won't be as economical.

I know they are not great choices but as I said I need a run around for a year or so and dont do much mileage (150 at the most in a week)

Nissan - Which Primera - McP

The older 1.6 GA16DE engine is pretty much bullet proof. I had a 97 1.6 several years ago for about 3 years/70K. Goes reasonably well for the size of the car. Bought by a car dealer as a runaround with 140K on it.

The newer QG 1.5 and 1.8 engines can stretch the timing chain. Most won't.

Thanks for the info McP

Nissan - Which Primera - primeradriver

If you're only keeping the car for a year, it has a full years' test, and the price is low enough, I'd be inclined to go for the rusty heap to be honest, as long as it's mechanically sound.

You're looking for a reason a car is very cheap -- rust isn't something that's likely to cause you any grief for a year (although it'll slap you come MOT day) and it's better than a shafted engine.

If you want to keep the car longer, of course, none of this applies.

I'd be looking Korean if you're wanting cheap to be honest. Newer car = better shot at getting a good one IME.

Nissan - Which Primera - SteveLee

I had a 2 litre P11, a truely exceptional chassis and a big step up over the p10 - great fun to drive (am I saying this about a Japanese car?) nursed it would touch 40mpg, even driven hard it rarely dropped below 30mpg. I took it to about 150K miles if I remember rightly then gave it away. Sadly the engine failed soon after this - it dropped a conrod. The later Primeras were no where nearly as good to drive, the P11 is almost a legend in my tiny mind!

If you get a good one there's no reason why it shouldn't last a few years - just drive it 'til it goes pop, change the oil every 6,000 miles, and you may be rewarded with many miles of enjoyable budget motoring.

As other people have said - buy the one with the best history as these cars were often used as mini-cabs, and being an old car you might just be buying potential scrap with an MOT - similarly you might be buying a gem - there's always an element of luck.

Nissan - Which Primera - Smileyman

I had a 1.6 P10 .. 35 - 40 mpg general running around, 40 - 45 mpg on longer runs, excellent car, generally relaible, sold after 10 years at 173,000 miles - original clutch, radiator etc - only sold it because I want a more modern car with aircon / airgbags etc. Now have a P12 2 litre Primera, lucky to get much over 32 mpg on a run, loaded with toys but much more expensive to run.

Thanks for the info all very grateful for the feedback I had no idea that this thread was still being responded to ,until I just came back now to for some more help well bottom line is that I have a choice of 3 cars with only £50 in difference of cost to look at . I am after reliability and fuel economy , basically something to runaround for 18months , before I decide what younger car i want to buy .

1. 1999 (T) Nissan Primera 1.6 , 70000 mileage MOT till March 2013

2. 1999(T) Nissan Primera 1.6 111000 mileage MOT till January 2013

3 2001(51) Nissan Primera 1.8 110000 mileage MOT till March 2013

Why is it so cheap to buy a 2001 compared to 1999 .

The 2001 is going for £500 and the 1999 is £450

Whichever is in the better condition.

Nissan - Which Primera - Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks for the info all very grateful for the feedback I had no idea that this thread was still being responded to ,until I just came back now to for some more help well bottom line is that I have a choice of 3 cars with only £50 in difference of cost to look at . I am after reliability and fuel economy , basically something to runaround for 18months , before I decide what younger car i want to buy .

1. 1999 (T) Nissan Primera 1.6 , 70000 mileage MOT till March 2013

2. 1999(T) Nissan Primera 1.6 111000 mileage MOT till January 2013

3 2001(51) Nissan Primera 1.8 110000 mileage MOT till March 2013

Why is it so cheap to buy a 2001 compared to 1999 .

The 2001 is going for £500 and the 1999 is £450

Because they're only worth what someone is willing to cough up for them due to the old age of the car! The value bottoms out after so long so the selling prices are a nominal 'take it off me' fee.

Indeed -- which is why condition is key.

TBH at this end of the market I prefer to buy those models whose values level off to nothing more quickly. This rarely has anything to do with the quality of the vehicle, but it does mean that you're getting a newer car for the same money.

I saw a Mitsubishi Lancer recently sell on ebay for £500 on a 2004 plate. I have no idea if this is the normal value or if there was something wrong with it, but in general I'd trust a 2004 Mitsubishi over a 1999 Nissan to last 18 months out.