Best automatic for my requirements...? - firbird

I'm in the market for a used automatic saloon. My annual milage is low, max 8000/year, and a lot of that is urban so decent fuel economy is a priority. I tend to prefer German cars and have had good experiences with VWs so that's mostly where I've been looking

Budget £6-8k. Would prefer max 4-5 years old, max 60,000 miles on the clock

So far for the money, I like the looks of VW Jetta 1.9 or 2.0 TDi DSG (2008) or BMW 320d (2007).

DSG gets good reviews but I'm put off by horror stories of failures and expensive repairs. But equally there are reports of problems on the 320d (turbo failure etc). Any thoughts on the above? Any other reccomendations?

All help appreciated!

Best automatic for my requirements...? - NARU

For the use you describe, you'd be better off with a petrol car

Best automatic for my requirements...? - davros

Honda Accord Petrol - (or the small Lexus auto, also petrol?)

Unless you welcome the prospect of a £1500+ bill when it breaks, I'd avoid anything with a DSG box like the plague. And any perceived savings you might make on fuel with a diesel will be more than cancelled out by the cost of flyw heels, DPFs, etc etc.

Best automatic for my requirements...? - unthrottled

Why single out DSG? It's no less reliable or more expensive to repair than any of the other automated carbuncles on the market. Unlike the single clutch affairs, at least the DSG doesn't shift like a learner driver.

And any perceived savings you might make on fuel with a diesel will be more than cancelled out by the cost of flyw heels, DPFs, etc etc.

Most of these failures are due to driver error. It is wrong to suggest that they are inevitable.

Best automatic for my requirements...? - daveyjp

Low mileage with plenty of urban means a petrol makes far more sense. mpg differences aren't worth bothering about as a diesel takes more miles than a petrol to warm up and mpg suffers as a result.

My Audi A3 2.0TDi DSG did mid 30s round town, same as my current B class petrol, which is a manual, but the auto mpg figures are about the same.

Best automatic for my requirements...? - firbird

Honda Accord Petrol - (or the small Lexus auto, also petrol?)

Unless you welcome the prospect of a £1500+ bill when it breaks, I'd avoid anything with a DSG box like the plague. And any perceived savings you might make on fuel with a diesel will be more than cancelled out by the cost of flyw heels, DPFs, etc etc.

from looking around the prolems with DSG seem to be worse with the new 7-speed box as opposed to the older 6-speed box. is this right?

Best automatic for my requirements...? - Avant

Have a look at either something with the VAG 1.8T engine (Audi or Skoda) or a Japanese petrol car - Honda (Civic or Accord), Toyota (Auris or Avensis) or Mazda (3 or 6).