Golf gt tdi 02 - Leaking coolant - stressed78
Ok have a golf that's leaking coolant, had cambelt replaced as 20k done since last, and then put in a new water pump and cap

When I say leaking it isn't noticeable I can't see any water and it is a tiny amount, it falls just below the minimum every week or so

Cambelt was replaced 3weeks ago and it flashed up today check coolant for the first time in 3 weeks where it needed a small top up

Obviously this is a sign of gasket but there is nothing to suggest it is this, no milky oil etc

I was advised by the garage that it could be the coolant tank? Is this a possibility?

They also said that with new antifreeze running through if it was the gasket then it would happen a lot quicker...well 3weeks isn't quick IMO

Am at a complete loss, ideally if it isn't the gasket I dont want to be paying to have it done if it doesn't solve my problem

The car isn't prone to gaskets going so am praying it is something else

Any help, tips, advice would be very gratefully received

is there a test that the garage can do to see if it is head gasket?

Thankyou

Edited by stressed78 on 21/07/2012 at 23:21

Golf gt tdi 02 - Leaking coolant - unthrottled

They can test the coolant for the presence of combustion gases-which is a sign of h/g failure.

You could have a ttiny hole in the radiator, or simply a poor connection on one of the hoses. Often you find that the coolant only escapes when the coolant is pressurised. Look for telltale signs of white powder (residue from antifreeze) around the radiator fins and hoses. That's often evidence of a leak.