What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf GL TDI 1996 - VW Golf GL TDI 1996 Cutting Out....Again.. - Tony Soprano

Originally had this problem when I first got the car,someone on here told me it was relay 109,which it was,replaced with new grey type,all sorted.

Now its doing the random cutting out thing again,exactly the same thing,all power go`s,then when I pull over and turn off and leave for a minute,its then starts and runs ok.Had a look at relay 109,but it looks ok,no sign of melting like last time.Dont know if its connected but have also had intermittant flashing glow plug light for months now,VW have scanned it and got the brake light switch code,replaced with brand new VW brake light switch,still the intermittant flashing glow plug light remains,and still when scanned it gives BLS fault code.

Is it possible the new type relay 109 is failing?How can this be checked~?

Anything else it could be?Seems very likely its electrical fault?

VW Golf GL TDI 1996 - VW Golf GL TDI 1996 Cutting Out....Again.. - Helen Butler
Hi
I've had similar problems with my 2005 Golf Plus SE TDI. It starts shuddering and then the glow plug light comes on. Occasionally it stalls and we have to hope that we're not going too fast or going round a bend when it happens. The majority of the time we just pull over, turn the engine off for 10 minutes and it starts fine and will be ok for a week or so before it happens again. The first time the RAC came out the VAG threw up a speed sensor fault, so that was replaced. The next time it was a 109 relay fault, so we replaced that. The next time it happened the garage took a sample from the fuel tank and found that it contained oil (the fuel filter was covered in oil too) and diagnosed a faulty lift pump. They drained the tank, cleaned it, replaced the lift pump and the fuel filter and told me it was fixed. Two days later it started chugging again so they then diagnosed a faulty tandem pump. A new tandem pump and another fuel filter were fitted. This time the car was fine for about 3 weeks, but it then started stalling again. I took the car back to the garage but they couldn't find anything wrong with it (no fault codes had been stored) so sent me away. I've just dropped it at a new garage and the mechanic said that it's likey to be the injector seals because a faulty seal can cause the diesel and oil to mix, causing the chugging sensation. I'm really hoping that this fixes it because I'm £900 out of pocket so far and am about to sell the car - last night was the last straw having had to pull over on the side of a busy dual carriageway at 10pm in the pouring rain with my 18 month old daughter in the back, watching the HGVs hurtling past!