Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - pug406 prob

one of the water hoses on bottom of radiator to bottom engine split i managed to make it home although it was trying to cut out all the time well now it wont turn over or will but sounds like no compression is this just as simple as to fix hose an refill coolant or have i cooked engine . are there sensors that wud stop car turning over please help

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - madf

You have run the engine with no coolant and intermittent failure which suggests teh rings have seized in the bore or the bearings ahve seized.. or lots more maladies.

Replacement engine seems most likely..

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - Collos25

I do not beleive some people a new engine opposed to little inconvenience as madf states a ruined engine.

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - Bromptonaut

As others say, it's likley goosed. What on earth posessed the OP to press on rather than stop and call breakdown or try a roadside repair?

If the car's dripping liquid first check is to feel it and sniff to determine whether it's water or oil, coolant or condensation.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/06/2012 at 15:58

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - oldroverboy

As others say, it's likley goosed. What on earth posessed the OP to press on rather than stop and call breakdown or try a roadside repair?

its a peugeot 406, that is the first clue, second is it means it's an old car, means run on a tight budget, means no driver intelligence! I once witnessed citroen driver adding oil to his engine at the side of the road and then driving on, NO SUMP PLUG! and then stopping and adding more!

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - RT

it means it's an old car, means run on a tight budget, means no driver intelligence!

That's out of order - there's no connection between tight budget and intelligent

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - Chris M

x2

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - mss1tw

it means it's an old car, means run on a tight budget, means no driver intelligence!

That's out of order - there's no connection between tight budget and intelligent

I'm skint because I spent 4 years training from apprentice to qualified electrician rather braindead but reasonably paid I.T. jobs, so agree that comment is very far of the mark - as my posts on here testify I am very particular about vehicle care escpecially as no wheels means no work.

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - Bromptonaut

An odd way of linking things ORB.

I drive the 406's sister ship, a Citroen Xantia. If I spot a fluid leak the step one is what fluid and step two is the rate of loss. A drip of LHM from a relief pipe is manageable until the weekend. A spray of coolant is stop now and either apply a temp repair and top up or get a tow.

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - unthrottled

Leaving aside the idiocy of driving with no coolant, I'm confused by the first post. Does the engine turn over, or doesn't it? If it does then it isn't seized. If it has seized, it might be worth removing the spark plugs (petrol engine?) dropping some oil into each cylinder, attempting a bump start to try to free the pistons. The engine will be damaged, but it might limp on for a few more miles, albeit with horific oil consumption. I (briefly) resurrected a two stroke that had been run on straight unleaded with this method.

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - injection doc

Simply on a 406 a warning light comes up which say STOP if it gets to hot or losses water.

Nothing difficult in that. What a waste of a good car driving it till its b*****ed

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - oldroverboy

Simply on a 406 a warning light comes up which say STOP if it gets to hot or losses water.

Nothing difficult in that. What a waste of a good car driving it till its b*****ed

My comment is not nice, I fully agree, but sorry, NO. Drive a car with no coolant is utterly stupid! Perhaps saying because it was an ol peugeot debatable, but anyone who has a major leak be it oil or coolant and others who do no servicing gets no sympathy from me. Discussing the problems of people who come into a mate garage here and he is good and honest and charges £35 an hour makes me scream. no services ever done, want everything done for nothing and don't understand why the car is irreparable! even an oil change and inspection will flag up problems! And,,,,, where is the op now? likely another spoof.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 30/06/2012 at 11:17

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - bathtub tom

Many nowadays treat a car like buying a can of beans off a supermarket shelf.

I did a paper round for a couple of years to save enough for my first motor bike. I certainly couldn't afford to pay someone else for servicing and repairs, so had to learn myself. Subsequent cars were equally 'hard earned' and I wasn't going to do anything silly to throw away my investment.

I've managed to indoctrinate the wife, but obviously not my daughter who admitted she was aware the steam and lake of water at the traffic lights were from her car. She managed about a mile before it seized!

Peugeot 406 - i split water hose made it home before car cut out - galileo

Calling at my local independent the other day he showed me a Ford Ranger pickup which had a seized camshaft and potential £2600 of repairs. Apparently this had been seviced just once in 77000 miles - lady driver said "well it's a lease car, so it doesn't matter!"