Ford Fiesta 1.6tdci Titanium - Cat C repaired car - major issues, any advice - sarjo

Hi. Got myself into a bit of a situation. Any advice/comments greatly appreciated.

In February of this year I purchased a 60 plate Ford Fiesta with 23,000 miles on the clock. The seller (who initially started out as a private seller on Ebay) was very open about the fact that the vehicle had been involved in an accident and that the car had been written off as a Cat C and explained that the car had been fully repaired by himself. The ad said "The vehicle is Category C repaired. The damage was to the front driver side corner, very minor. All repairs have been carried out to very high standard"

I paid an initial deposit and arranged to travel the 300 miles a few days later to view the car. When I arrived, the seller was actually trade and took me to his garage wher the car was and where the repairs had been carried out. The car all looked ok and I checked the vehicle over the best I could according to my ability. The seller explained again that the damage was only minor and that there had been no chassis damage and that the airbags had not been deployed. I even questioned him again about this and he was adamant that damage was only minor. The car drove fantastically well on the test drive so I agreed to buy the car. In total, because of its status as a Cat C I paid £7,100.

Three weeks ago less than four months after buying the car the engine cut out and would not restart. I had it towed to Ford who advised me the next day that the cambelt had actually snapped causing damage to the engine. It has currently done 31,000 miles. They also advised me that the car showed signs of being in a collision (intersting as I had not mentioned this). I went to the garage and they showed me a bent chassis leg, a broken engine mount bracket that had had the bolt simply welded back on and a damaged inner supprt panel. There was dented air con pipes and leaking coolant hoses. The guys at the garage said that this car had obviously been involved in quite a heavy front end impact. They also said that the cambelt had probably snapped due to the mis-alignment of the belt on the fuel and cam pulleys casued by a shift to the engine (probably upon collision) Ford have quoted £5,400 for a replacement engine and fuel pump to be fitted and just over £2,000 for bodywork repairs (although I admit I thinksome of this is unneccassary). A second hand engine would obviously be cheaper and acceptable to me.

I contacted the seller to inform him of the problem and not surprisingly he has said that the vehicle wa sold to me with no mechanical or electrical warranty and that now because of the broken engine he could not take the car back as it is worth nothing to him.

I have sent him a letter quoting the sale of goods act and am now awaiting his reply.

I have ready many articles around this subject but was wondering if anyone could give me any specific advice relative to my situation. I have asked in the letter for a full refund or payment of the money to get it fixed as I would not trust him to do the job himself properly as a repair, also he is over 300 miles away. But, if he does offer to repair it, do I have to accept thart offer?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Edited by sarjo on 12/06/2012 at 22:35

Ford Fiesta 1.6tdci Titanium - Cat C repaired car - major issues, any advice - miata

I obviously sympathise with your situation but i think you have been the author of your own misfortunes.

By definition a Cat C car has sustained major damage not minor damage hence it requires a VIC Check.

The price you paid was way over the odds. I am sure you could have found a straight one at a Ford Dealer for that money.

It would have paid to get someone to examine it prior to purchase.

Did you do an HPI Check on it prior to purchase.

Sorry but in the circumstances i doubt you have a leg to stand on.

Ford Fiesta 1.6tdci Titanium - Cat C repaired car - major issues, any advice - sarjo

I obviously sympathise with your situation but i think you have been the author of your own misfortunes.

By definition a Cat C car has sustained major damage not minor damage hence it requires a VIC Check.

The price you paid was way over the odds. I am sure you could have found a straight one at a Ford Dealer for that money.

It would have paid to get someone to examine it prior to purchase.

Did you do an HPI Check on it prior to purchase.

Sorry but in the circumstances i doubt you have a leg to stand on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I know!

Yes, obviously Cat C means quite some damage but it isnt always 'structural' in terms of the chassis, in some instances it has just meant lots of panel damage.

The line I have been told to take is that actually the car was sold to me as having 'minor damage' and that advice has been given to me to have an independent assessor look at the repair to check its condition. If it can be proven that the car suffered 'major damage' then under the sale of goods act the vehicle was not sold to me in the condition it had been described.

Thanks for your message though, the luck I'm having at the moment will probably mean that I wont have any joy claiming anything back, but one cant give up can one!

Ford Fiesta 1.6tdci Titanium - Cat C repaired car - major issues, any advice - miata

Apologies i did not intend to sound harsh.

However i think the problem you may have is that you were aware it was cat c. This means that the cost of repairs exceeded the market value.

So obviously the damage sustained was more than minor.

So no one is going to be able to repair a cat c properly and sell it at a profit.

Hence duff repairs. However pursue it as far as you can and good luck.

Ford Fiesta 1.6tdci Titanium - Cat C repaired car - major issues, any advice - laldog
Buyer beware however if you can prove he is a motor trader and he is bona fide then you will have some recourse if you get trading standards involved and explain the story to them. Also if you buy anything for this sort of money use a credit card next time that covers you in 2 ways by A proving he is a dealer and B the credit company is jointly liable for the goods.
I have to say though you have a long and hard battle on your hands if he is not going to play ball and i am in this trade!!!!