What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus hatchback TDCI 1.8 '07 - engine performance problems - magwen

engine runs rough and seems to hesitate when accelerating up a hill after cruising at 60/65 mph. roughness disappears as soon as throttle eased. Any thoughts?

Ford Focus hatchback TDCI 1.8 '07 - engine performance problems - MikeTorque

Sounds like it could be a fueling issue. Get the fuel filter changed asap if it hasn't been done for a while and see if that helps.

Ford Focus hatchback TDCI 1.8 '07 - engine performance problems - BenG
What engine speed / gear
What engine speed / gear are you climbing the hill in? The engine in my old Focus didn't like running under heavy loads at less than around 1500rpm and would sound rough. My current Seat Leon judders badly if trying to pull hard from too low an engine speed (also damages the DMF)...

Thanks for that. climbing at 60/65 at around 2100 rpm in top gear, not with heavy throttle. would have thought that with a diesel engine that's not unreasonable? The same happens when speeding up on the flat. I try not to belt it as I'm not in a hurry and being careful with fuel!

Thanks for that. The car has been serviced regularly at the proper intervals and the filters have been changed.

Ford Focus hatchback TDCI 1.8 '07 - engine performance problems - ChannelZ

Thanks for that. The car has been serviced regularly at the proper intervals and the filters have been changed.

You paid for the filters to be changed, but were they actually changed? Sounds like classic fuel starvation.

Ford Focus hatchback TDCI 1.8 '07 - engine performance problems - Collos25

I would consider the EGR valve or the turbo actuation,

Should run smooth
Should run smoothly enough under load at 2100rpm. Sticky EGR valve can cause rough running, usually accompanied by excessive exhaust smoke. They get clogged up with carbon deposits from the exhaust gases.

Also worth checking the corrugated rubber hoses to the ends of the intercooler for splits/leaks - these might only open up under boost, when the engine load is increased, giving loss of power. In fact, check the rest of the pipe work between the turbo and inlet manifold for leaks at the same time (oil spatter on nearby components might be a give-away but splits are not always easy to see) and check the jubilee clips are tight.

Thanks to all who have offered advice. Had the EGR and all the filters checked - found the latter in poor condition and replaced. much better now.