What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Flickering Sony lights - johnforty

I have an unresolved electrical problem with my '53 Mondeo TDCi 130 Estate 120k miles. After about 1 hrs night driving the Sony CD panel starts to flickering slightly. With time this increases in intensity over the next 20mins or so until they are almost flashing on-off. (very distracting when night driving) I have done some investigating (fiddling!) and found if I use main beam or put heated front or rear screen on it reduces and almost stops the flickering. If I put on all three then it stops. If I turn stuff off then it gets worse and I think it then also shows up slightly in the dash illumination but very slightly. Dash lights dimmer position does not seem to affect the flashing - not sure as it just makes the problem more or less obvious. Seems like an electrical load problem? This has been happening since I bought the car about 3 1/2 years ago and still does it after having replaced the alternator after it failed recently but, was hoping, it has not change the flickering problem. Is there a regulator for the radio/Sony and or dash illuminations? Usual solution is to turn it off. Help!

Ford Mondeo - Flickering Sony lights - Peter.N.

Does sound like a possible over voltage problem. Connect a voltmeter to the cigar lighter so you can see it from the driving position and moniter the voltage when the fault occurs, the battery voltage should be a max 14.4 volts if its going above this the problem is in the charging circuit, if its not the problem must be with the display.

Ford Mondeo - Flickering Sony lights - elekie&a/c doctor

Alternator failure on most Fords is a fairly common issue.However many of the aftermarket recon units do not perform to scratch.Is yours a genuine Ford replacement unit ?There is no voltage regulator in the dash pod or radio circuit,but you can expect voltages up to 16 volts in the electrical system as this has smart charge control..Remember also that is is important to have a calcium battery fitted.hth