What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus hatch tdci 2002 model - Noise left side of engine (whinning) - moxjan

Noise on left side of the engine, just had a service done two days ago,no probs before service. Whining noise on occasions especially when engine warm. Took it to garage,mechanic mystified but sprayed oil down side of engine,says it could be split pipe somewhere? Since spraying it doesn't seem to occur as much,but still there.

ford focus hatch tdci 2002 model - Noise left side of engine (whinning) - BenG

Could be a timing belt tensioner bearing on the way out, if the belt has not been changed on time or the tensioner was not changed when the belt was. Other possibility is the alternator or tensioner bearings (auxiliary drive belt) are worn and whining? Worth checking the timing belt tensioner as failure could throw off the belt and wreck the engine...

ford focus hatch tdci 2002 model - Noise left side of engine (whinning) - moxjan

Many thanks for the info BenG. I was going to have the recommended major service done (10yrs old) but the car has only done 61 thousand miles,so i opted for a full service instead. I'm a bit worried now on what you have said. Thanks again.