What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - FP

Looks as if my battery has died. On checking replacements, I see a calcium type is offered. Given the extra cost, is it worth it? (The engine is not diesel.)

Edited by FP on 18/03/2012 at 19:44

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - elekie&a/c doctor

It is not a question of "worth it" but a requirement on cars fitted with a smart charge alternator where charging voltages can peak at around 16 volts.The focus is one of those cars.hth

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - ChannelZ

A normal battery works fine. My Mondeo has smart-charge, and it's been running perfectly for 2 years and 20k with an elcheapo "Lion" battery from ECP.

Calcium batteries are a con.

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - MikeTorque

A few years ago a well known high street motor shop fitted a standard lead acid battery to my Focus mk1, a few weeks later weird things starting to happen to the car. Took the car back and they checked the battery, it was knackered inside, should have fitted a calcium battery I was informed, your guy should have fitted a calcium battery I informed them, oh ok, our fault, here's a new calcium battery, end of problem, no more battery fault related issues.

Yes a calcium battery is worth it.

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - injection doc

"Calcium batteries are a con."

your wrong

You must fit a replacement like for like. Infact now there is also a GFM, glass fibre matt style battery and if a cars ECU is configured to charge a GFM battery then you end up with problems if you replace with a non GFM.

Fit acalcium battery unless you want to risk other issues related to charging.

Just because someones got away with it once or twice doesnt mean its a golden rule.

Edited by injection doc on 19/03/2012 at 10:32

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - Roly93

A normal battery works fine. My Mondeo has smart-charge, and it's been running perfectly for 2 years and 20k with an elcheapo "Lion" battery from ECP.

In the short term you are right, it will work fine, but I guarantee that exposing a regular lead acid battery to peaks of 16V in the long term will reduce its life. ie your battery may live 4 years instead of 6 or 7 years. Long journeys will help a bit as the battery usually gets blasted with voltage when it is low on charge with a cold start.

In the short term you are right, it will work fine, but I guarantee that exposing a regular lead acid battery to peaks of 16V in the long term will reduce its life. ie your battery may live 4 years instead of 6 or 7 years. Long journeys will help a bit as the battery usually gets blasted with voltage when it is low on charge with a cold start.

Well, the OE fit Calcium battery died at 5 years old. Replaced 2 years ago with normal battery, and everything still works.

£30 every 3 years in a 8 year old car is cheaper than ploughing £100 in to it for a calcium battery which may or may not last another 5 years, by which time the car may or may not be in the scrap yard.

Fitting a calcium battery would be 10% of the cars value...

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - Collos25

It all depends if it takes out other components when it dies like neighbour who thought he had saved a few cents unti the cheapo battery did over 1k euros of damage.You pays your money and you takes a chance I personally have never been a gambler.

Edited by Collos25 on 20/03/2012 at 17:30

£1k of damage to my car means I'd be weighing it in, so still a saving as far as the battery is concerned.

Ford Focus II 05 2 litre - New battery - is calcium type worth it? - unthrottled

Another fuel saving device that costs more than it saves. I replaced my OEM lead acid at (12 years) for a scrap yard £10 special. Is it the best battery in the world? No. But I doubt I'd see £140 fuel saving with a smart alternator and a calcium battery!