What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - melloman

Hey Guys,hope someone can help.I've just changed the front brake pads on my 2002 laguna2.I did the usual manual pushing in of the pistons with a lever to allow the new pads to fit-pushed them right home though,so maybe too far???I also did this without opening the bleed screw(doh!)-which always worked fine on other cars.But,when i did the passenger side,some brake fluid squirted from behind piston rubber dust shield as it went home.This has never happened on any other car brakes I've done before.(Both pistons retracted slowly and evenly) now when I press the brake pedal hard it goes to the floor slowly when the car's running .It stays solid when engine is off.

I've tried to bleed the n/s caliper but the spongy pedal remains and still goes slowly to the floor.Please can you shed some light on my problem- I really need my car to help get my disabled mum around.Regards Mark.

Edited by melloman on 04/03/2012 at 18:58

Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - gordonbennet

,'''some brake fluid squirted from behind piston rubber dust shield as it went home'''

Sounds like the seal either split or flipped, either way it will need replacing.

I don't know if an overhaul kit is available or worth fitting, obviously depends on the internal condition of the caliper and piston which you won't be able too tell till you strip it, i imagine there is a ridge of rust or something that has snagged the seal.

Best bet is either a good serviceable caliper from a breaker or a new one, new may not be that expensive...try Eurocarparts or GSF, both have online facilities so you might get an idea tonight.

Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - Collos25

If fluid came out of a caliper then air can get in it appears you have damagesd a seal propably dirt on the piston has damaged the seal the solution is either a rebuild kit (if you can still buy them)or a new caliper.

Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - Railroad.

It's not at all uncommon for the brake pedal to feel soft initially after changing the pads. Take the car for a run and use the brakes normally but quite often. By the time you have done five miles the pedal will probably feel much better as the new pads begin to bed in.

As for the fluid leak this does happen occasionally. Get someone to press the pedal hard while you check for leaks. If there is no sign of a leak then you will most likely be fine.....

Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - Peter.N.

I would concur, the pads are rarely completely flat so the pedal will feel a little spongy until they are bedded in.

Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - Peter D

The pedal sinks to the floor. Fix the problem before it fixes you, permantly. Regards Peter

Laguna 2 dci tourer - spongy brakes- after changed front pads. - Peter.N.

Sorry, didn't read the post properly - as usual.