What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 5door 1.6 ES 1998 - Claimed through 3rd party insurers. Write-off eval - GinZ

Hi all,

For the first time I went directly to the third party (after notifying my insurers) insurers to get them to fix my car. Am now at the stage where I've got an answer message to discuss a write-off value.

HISTORY:

Accident: My car was parked outside my home. Extremely helpful passer-by driver took picture of other car who hit me and stopped to try and find the owner (me).

Police was called in the end as the driver (there was severe doubt whether it was her or her non-insured brother) and she admitted full liability. I still have the CAD (I think that's what it's called iirc) card from the police

I tried to reason with the woman that getting the damage paid for would be more cost-effective. But she just messed me about. After about 3 months of this rediculousness, enough was enough and I've gone straight to her insurers (first time I've ever done this). Turned out she hadn't even reported any of the accidents that day.

The insurers took their time and I had to chase them up, again and again, to find out that she had eventually been contacted and that she had admitted fault and that they would be paying to fix my car.

I got a quote from one of my known garages. They rejected it on grounds of too high a labour rate.

I agreed for them to get one they were happy with. Some guy came round and looked at my car. He didn;t call me beforehand as I was told but managed to spot somebody looking round my car - could have been anybody. I let him take the details.

The guy did mention that it would most likely be a write off. I told him that the outside may look the same as the cheaper models but, afaik, my one is the top range one with electric everything, ac, full leather etc so I doubt it would be.

Bear in mind that the quote I got to fix from my garage was just under £750. My garage man also said it could be a write off until I showed him all the extras that he agreed weren't what his listed prices took into consideration. It would seem that my model isn't that common.

Now I've been left a message by some assessor company saying they had been contacted by my insurance company to 'DISCUSS A VALUE with regards to the car being a total loss'.

Having read around a bit I have read that I should be wary of some tactics that are used to bring this down.

Ultimately I would like to be in a position that I have a car or enough money to get a decent car, like the one I have, to be able to continue having the freedom such a car entitles me to.

I want to be prepared for any situation and I am hoping to get advice on what steps can be taken to get the best out of this situation.

Thank you for reading.

Honda Civic 5door 1.6 ES 1998 - Claimed through 3rd party insurers. Write-off eval - GinZ

Am I within my rights to request a copy of the quote their insurers got from their chosen garage?

Since I went directly to the other person's insurer, can I insist they compensate me to fix my car?

Honda Civic 5door 1.6 ES 1998 - Claimed through 3rd party insurers. Write-off eval - Falkirk Bairn

Do the arithmetic

Cost to fix at your garage = £XXX

Settlement figure - £YYY

Buy back figure from Ins C0 = £zzz

£YYY - (£XXX+£zzz) = Positive? - think about it / Negative? Do you really want to keep the 14 yr old motor.

I had one - 1.6 Estate 2001 - £10,000 new 3rd March 2001 (last of old models) sold it for £2500 6.5 years later - excellent car - repairs (excluding servicing,tyres,brakes etc) £350/400 in 93,000 miles. - wing mirror, fan rheostat, fan belt, anti-roll bar bushes, AC top up!) never broke down...........contrast MB C Class it replaced

HI Falkirk Bairn,

Thanks for the reply.

What does 'MB C Class' mean?

I can't afford to spend more and this old car has had nothing go wrong except for an exhaust and yes the AC needs a top-up.

I mean, when I drive it really carefully, I can get nearly 450 miles out a £55 tank of petrol. Not bad I feel. Yes, I don't have to keep this car, but would I find such a reliable and economical car for the money they'll offer me?

I doubt it (although admittedly I don't know much about the car market) and hence I would like to consider options to get to keep this car.

If it gets written off, would my insurance increase? I am already quote near £1K, even with 8 years no-claims bonus.

Am I entitled to insist on their insurers fixing my car?

Got a £1100 evaluation for my car from an assessor company who said the figure came from Glass's guide. I found out that it gives only national averages.

The man said I would now have to prove the value to be higher if I wanted to discuss it with the insurance company.

Since I live in London, surely I won't be able to find a similar car (it's hard enough to find my model) around here?

Any opinions?

I'll get me coat and start looking...

Oh and I should I consider any salvage value into the equation? I found a website stating they would pay me £200 for it.

Edited by GinZ on 02/03/2012 at 17:09