Space saver wheels - Boroman

I was overtaken on the M74 on Sunday by a Volvo saloon (not entirely sure which model), travelling around 75/80mph. What caught my eye was that he had a skinny space-saver wheel on the nearside rear. I thought these had a recommended safe max speed of 56mph. I half expected to find it on its roof somewhere further up the road or did the driver know something I don't regarding the safety of these things at m/way speeds.

Space saver wheels - ChannelZ

No, the driver was a clueless idiot.

I've seen people driving around here for months with the spacesaver on the front, and not on little shopping cars either - I'm talking big, powerful cars like Jag S-type or Mercs.

Space saver wheels - daveyjp
Just another darwin award nominee. I drove my car half a mile from home to the tyre fitter with one on a non driven rear wheel and it made a difference to handling.
Space saver wheels - tony g
I've always thought of space saver wheels as a bit of a con by manufacturers .

The spare wheel well is just half full ,not completely full .But who uses the space in that area ,I very rarely do .

I'm sure it's about cost saving by manufacturers ,the cheaper tyre and wheel must be at least £5 cheaper than an interchangeable spare , it doesn't sound much until you multiply it by the number of cars manufactured ,say 200,000 .

That generates £1 million .of extra profit for the manufacturer .

Space saver wheels - Waino

If the spare wheel well is only half full, then I would agree with Tony i.e. that the space-saver is a con by the manufacturer. Whilst space-savers have their limitations in road use, I would far rather have one of those than a can of goo.

The space-saver on my wife's Focus has got us out of trouble on a couple of occasions when a tyre has been badly punctured (beyond the abilty of a goo cure), and we have only been a few miles from home. Just as dropped toast usually lands butter-side down, punctures tend to happen at weekends/bank holidays/at night.

Space saver wheels - Bobbin Threadbare

That is so dangerous. My skinny spare has warnings written on it about how far you can go with it and at what speeds. I often see these on little chav cars, like souped-up Saxos and the like.

Space saver wheels - ChannelZ

Well, our elcheapo car (£10k i30) has not only a full size spare, but the spare is an alloy that matches the other 4 wheels.

My Vauxhalls that had 17" alloy wheels were supplied with a 15" or 16" full steel wheel which is fine in my book.

Those crappy 105mm wide "bicycle" wheels are a deathtrap IMHO.

That's actually a decent selling point for the car! Mr Bobbin was chuffed when he found that Celicas come with a proper alloyed spare, not that it's ever been used.

Space saver wheels - Paul G1pdc

my 2008 lancer, has space saver in the boot. And looked into buying a secondhand alloy. found one on flea-bay for only £1 from the breakers yard (pick up only) but 20miles from home so that was fine...

but measured the depth of the cutout in the boot.....opps,,,,,the cut out is only deep enough for the "motorbike" spare wheel...and to get the 18" wheel in there i would have to cut a hole in the boot carpet...hahaa....

still at least it has a spare even if its skinny....lots of cars minis, civics etc etc don't even come with that....

oh, those space savers also need loads of pressure,,,think mine says 60ibs...

so its slimmer than a motorbike wheel at 60ibs of pressure....hmmm loads of grip in the wet on a fast corner.....i think not.....

Space saver wheels - Armitage Shanks {p}

My Ford came with a full size wheel-well in the boot, filled with a block of polystyrene, a goo can and an air pump. I went straight out and bought a full size spare, jack and wheel brace and installed them.

One reason this line is followed is that the reduction in weight can result in lower emissions and a consequent moving into a lower excise tax band.

Ahhh....thanks Armitage. That might explain why so many new car models come with a puncture repair kit instead of even a skinny!

Space saver wheels - daveyjp

"The spare wheel well is just half full ,not completely full .But who uses the space in that area ,I very rarely do ."

My last two cars have had half empty spare wells and false boot floors.

In there now I have - rigger boots, fleece, hi viz jacket, hard hat, hi viz vest, small tool kit, footpump, various rubber bungees, picnic blanket, box of disposable gloves, wd40, top up oil, spare bulbs, torch, road atlas, golf umbrella. All that and the boot is empty.

For camping trips all work related stuff comes out and this area is used for vac bags full of clothes, bedding etc.