What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - RicardoB

Quite a few comments and queries around re small engines in big cars.

So, what do we think to this? I'm looking around at, amongst other things, nearly new Mondeos. A well known car supermarket has some 61-reg Zetec trim - 2.0 163BHP diesel and 1.6 115 BHP diesel. And the price? The same as each other, apart from the £115 v £30 VED.

So discuss - how long will the 1.6 be able to cope with such a big car and, assuming you have to work the engine really hard to keep up/going, will the real life economy really be much less than a relaxed 2.0?!

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - Bromptonaut

Two thoughts.

(i) What are the new prices of both models and what do matching near new prices tell us about longer term depreciation.

(ii) Not long ago 110PS/bhp (albeit off a 2.0 rather than1.6) was premium grade for a Mondeo class diesel car - standard was 90PS/bhp.

My 110PS 2000/XXantia is no slouch.

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - unthrottled

Naturally aspirated horsepower and turbo horsepower are not the same thing in practice. Off boost, a 1.6 diesel is going to struggle with a 3200+lb car. Roundabouts and junctions will be more of a chore in the 1.6. On the motorway/A road, the 1.6 is fine.

If the the difference between a £30 tax disc and a £115 tax disc bothers you, you should not even be contemplating a new or nearly new car since the cost of the tax disc is trivial in comparison to the depreciation.

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - Roly93

I have come across the 1.6D in a Focus and it wasn't that impressive in that, so I wouldn't think it would be very good in a Mondeo. Furthermore, with diesel the torque figure is mor relevant than the BHP and I would assume that the 1.6 is way down in torque.

These cars are probably geared okay taking all of this into account, but after a year of being caned they probably will start to show signs of raggedness.

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - craig-pd130

I had the 2.0 140bhp TDCI in a Mondeo IV Zetec estate for over 3 years. It was a very good car, no problems at all apart from a failed tail-light bulb, and it averaged a genuine 42.5mpg in that time over 38,000 miles.

Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend the higher-output version. The 140bhp version went fairly well, but to use the old Rolls-Royce expression, it felt more 'adequate' than lively.

Part of this was the relatively tall gearing that modern diesels are being saddled with, to lower emissions. My Passat B5.5 PD130 was geared at 21mph / 1000rpm in 4th, which was fantastic for A- and B-road usage: at 40mph you were just at the start of the fat part of the torque band, which made for rapid, safe progress.

The Mondeo was geared about 10% longer. This, combined with its extra 200+kg of kerb weight, meant you had to be just a bit more careful in overtakes, despite the higher power & torque ratings (on paper at least)

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - Avant

I agree. The 1.6 will be OK around town, but on the open road you'd need more pressure on the accelerator to get going, and thus use more fuel. With less need for this, the 2.0 should be almost as economical.

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - RicardoB

That's basically my thought. There is something reasurring knowing that the extra torque is there on the bigger engine - to escape safely.

Thanks for comments.

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - ChannelZ

As I said in the other thread, I find all these small diesels to be pretty useless off-boost, which can leave you sitting in a dangerous situation with no way of getting going unless you dip the clutch to get the revs up, then you're in the power and spinning the wheels.

My work colleague tows a big caravan with a C5 estate, it's running the 1.6HDi 110hp. It's not quick, and he says MPG is halved when towing the van. Personally I'd have bought the V6 diesel C5...

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - Pat L

I had a 1.9 tdi 115 Audi from new (2000X) and never found it lacking in power, and it had great economy (50-55mpg).

The power inflation in recent years is quite significant, and I for one am taken in by it. But sometimes the figures don't tell the whole story, as the engine type, gearing and weight of the car can have a great influence of the perceived 'power' of a car. In the mid 80s I had a mk 2 Cavalier 1.6 petrol (carb) that went like wotsit off a shovel, cruised easily in top (4th) gear at 85-90 mph and would be quite comfortable at 70+ mph in 3rd.

Ford Mondeo - Another thought re small diesels in big cars - Roly93

I had a 1.9 tdi 115 Audi from new (2000X) and never found it lacking in power, and it had great economy (50-55mpg).

Trust me the 1.9 PD engine even in 115BHP guise has far more grunt than the For 1.6 CR diesel. You are comparing the "pretty good" with a pencil sharpener !