What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Car cutting out - baz2830

Hi, I have an 03 diesel Ford Mondeo. I have read recent post concerning the charging light coming on and that doesn't bother me too much but recently I pulled up at a petrol station and when I came back to the car I had nothing, the car was dead. The girl in the garage had a battery tester and that said the battery was ok so we changed the battery in the key fob thinking that may have been a problem but it was ok. A mechanic popped in with his booster pack and as soon as it was on the terminals the car came to life. We had the battery tested and it was 12.1v idleing and 14.1 when being revved so was told it was ok but not amazing. Later that night the car was running and as I turned the lights on it died again. After we jumped it it was ok until the next day when I flashed a car and it died and I rolled to a stop. We have had the battery changed and is now 12.4v and 14.4v but as soon as the heated front screen turns on it drops drimaticly and the charging light comes on again. The alternator got changed before i bought the car last september but I dont think its a genuine Ford supplied part. As I say, Im not too worried about the light coming on, I just dont want it breaking down. Has anybody else had anything similar happen?? Martin.

Ford Mondeo - Car cutting out - Collos25

Checking the voltage is not going to tell you the condition of the battery you need to do a discharge test .All you have described points to a duff battery.

Ford Mondeo - Car cutting out - sandy56

The light coming on is telling you that there is something wrong.

Check the battery and if thats failed replace it, if not check the alternator - it may be faulty, and will need replacing. You may be able to get it replaced by the garage as some of them have a two year guarantee.