What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - Trilogy

Taken from Autocar's website.

Should I buy one?

If you don’t, you should certainly have a damned good reason. Equipped with care, this Optima is an undeniable equal of some of Europe’s long-established, highly accomplished saloons. With sporting handling, distinctive styling and abundant value for money on the Kia’s side, in fact, it’s not difficult to imagine the open-minded giving up a VW Passat, Vauxhall Insignia or Ford Mondeo for one. Not difficult at all.

Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - MikeTorque

It's a big car, if you don't need a big car then that's reason enough not to buy it.

Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - jamie745

Im getting a bit fed up of the cyber fellatio on Korean cars now.

Apparently we now need to justify why we dont buy it?

I dont want it, hows that?

Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - sirionman

Nice!

There's already too many big cars/vehicles on the road.

Car parking bays aren't big enough to park them in.

Or....are the roads too small and we need bigger spaces? Theres always another way of looking at these things.

The UK (what's left of it) is too small for larger roads.

Maybe if people got smaller then cars would become smaller and we wouldn't need cars like the Optima, which in turn resolves the need for larger parking spaces. Would also ease problems associated with neighbours fighting each other over who parks where in their residential area.

The problems arent caused by big cars, fat people or parking spaces and nor are they naturally occuring. They're the result of planners, local authorities and councils constantly restricting roadspace. Chicanes, bus lanes, pedestrianiation schemes, speed bumps, road narrowing, yellow lines, pathetic speed limits, cycle lanes etc so the causes are very active because they dont happen by themselves. Ive noticed car parks of 25 years old which havent been touched since they were built have bigger spaces than brand new ones. The road network hasnt been updated to accomodate extra traffic and rising car use, we're around 30 years behind where we should be due to previous Governments pulling the plug on more than 100 road building schemes just to appease some nimby villagers and the odd neanderthal farmer.

The country is perfectly big enough but when you cram 60million people into 9% of it (only 9% of the UK is built on which is low when compared with similar sized european neighbours) you obviously encounter some problems. Only the UK believes the road system of 50 years ago should be adequate and any congestion problems are the fault of people having the audacity to use it, when everywhere else in the world thinks 'lets improve the road network then.' But not us. Oh no. Far too simple.

And by the way i could fit into a G-Wiz if i wanted to but i dont, i have a large car, Jaguar S-Type which is over 16 feet long and 6 feet wide which is bigger than a Grand Cherokee. Its not my fault most towns dont make spaces big enough for it, they could easily accomodate it if they wanted to but they'd rather spend the money on flower baskets and road narrowing instead so i just park/abandon it wherever i wish.

Some councils aren't car friendly towards cars and actively discourage car usage in to town/city centres.

We have over 60+ million people living on an island, our towns, cities are expanding rapidly. It isn't rocket science to figure out that an ever growing population will mean a greater and greater strain is being placed on all our resources, and land mass is finite, then what ?

Meanwhile the Optima - will our future grandchildren approve ?

Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - TeeCee

Meanwhile the Optima - will our future grandchildren approve ?

I thought it had already been decided many times here that any purchasing decision should be all about whether you like the car, not what other people think of it.......:-)

Incidently if all big cars = bad, why is it that each generation of every vehicle is larger than its predecessor? I guess the car-buying public as a whole disagrees.

Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - thunderbird

Incidently if all big cars = bad, why is it that each generation of every vehicle is larger than its predecessor?

The current trend for each successive new model to get ever bigger is an annoyance everytime we swap.

We had a 52 plate Mondeo, guess you would call it a mark 2, it was big (only just fitted in the garage) but managable. When we looked at a new motor the mark 3 Mondeo was out and it was simply way too big, would just fit in the garage but I could not get door open far enough to get out, an S-Max which on paper is just as big was a doddle, must be a height thing.

If you search the market place there are plenty of cars out there with loads of space that have a reasonable footprint. We looked at the Skoda Octavia and Kia Ceed SW amongst others, bought the Ceed, just as much passenger space as the mark 2 and a bigger boot plus its nearly a foot shorter.

As nice as the Optima looks and as good as the Ceed has been I would not buy one, too big but that's only my opinion.

To be fair the Optima looks like a nice car, in top spec im sure its perfectly decent. What i dont like is the suggestion that we need a damn good reason not to buy one other than simply not wanting one.

Kia - Should you buy an Optima? Another accomplished Kor - sirionman

Trilogy,

I thought your post was well meant so how the hell did it get so side-tracked? I was unaware of this model in the pipeline so thankyou for drawing it to my attention. It looks an awesome car.

Regards