What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - leef

Hi everyone,

Been a while since asked for some advice, but could do with your expertise! I've still got the trusty X-Reg (one of the first Mk 3's) Petrol Mondeo, it's done 77,000 miles now and still starts and runs no problem, had a few electrical issues recently (Automatic Windows, central locking and now the boot opening!) I also don't like the Tax band much these days. Now then onto what to replace her with.... I fancy a chevrolet cruze!, I know some people will question the looks, but I really like it! 1.6ls version, can get one with very few miles on the clock and a couple of years old tops for about 7k.... Anybody drove one? or do I get the MK4 Mondeo (probably a diesel this time?). I like a fairly big car but not essential, just me the Mrs and our new baby. Was also thinking of an Astra. Budget 7k TOPS. Any advise as always would be much appreciated...

Lee

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - ChannelZ

The Cruze is one of the cars I'm considering to replace my Mondeo (56-plater, 70k 1.8LX). The Cruze is basically a Mk5 Astra, with the 115hp 1.6 or 1.8 140hp GM VVT engines, and the diesel is a VM Motori 160hp unit.

I've not driven the Cruze, but I've driven plenty of, and owned a few Astras, and while they're not anywhere near as good to drive as a Mk3 Mondeo, they're basic, reliable motoring.

I'm looking at the Cruze 1.8, the Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance, 1.6 TiVCT Focus, and the 1.6 i30 as my four main options when I change. The missus has a 1.4 i30 and it's been a brilliant car, but they are quite heavy for the 1.4 engine.

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - Chris79
A local taxi firm near us uses cruze s as part of there fleet, there well impressed. They have modified the grills though as it seems the ac compressor is susceptible to damage though stones coming through the grill.

Seems a lot of car for the money.
Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - sirionman

Leef,

I admire your choice. The Cruze is a very handsome car and I am fairly sure it has its roots with Korea, and that is a good thing.

I do the "what car would I like this week" exercise on the internet and I have watched the Cruze for a while now and I still like it. It is a bit different from the crowd and it will earn you some stares for sure. I don't think you would go far wrong with it.

Nice

Regards

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - unthrottled

At the risk of being repetitive and tedious (chorus of denial would be most welcome!) you're replacing a £500 car with a £7000 car that isn't really going to be that much better...

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - skidpan

At the risk of being repetitive and tedious (chorus of denial would be most welcome!) you're replacing a £500 car with a £7000 car that isn't really going to be that much better...

The OP is asking fpr peoples advice about the Chevrolet Cruze. He has an elderly Mondeo that is starting to give trouble much like any car does at that age. IMHO although Korean cars don't have a BMW badge and maybe don't have the driving polish of some European brands they provide good value and decent reliability together with the remainder of a 5 year warranty. If you are happy with it after driving one go for it.

We have a Korean car at home (OK it was built in Slovakia) and have to say we have not regretted buying it instead of buying another Ford.

Edited by skidpan on 10/01/2012 at 12:15

We have a Korean car at home (OK it was built in Slovakia) and have to say we have not regretted buying it instead of buying another Ford.

Same here. I have my old Mondeo, and 18 months ago when the OH's Almera failed MOT due to terminal rust at 10 years old, I did the whole "which car next" exercise.

With the scrappage/swappage deal, we got a new i30 for £10k on the road. I wouldn't have got a new Focus or Astra for that, and to be honest, I don't think the Focus or Astra are as well built as the i30.

The Mk2.5 Focus has doors that seem to be made out of tinfoil that clank like an empty bucket when slammed. The i30's doors are more solid than those of the Mondeo. OK, so the i30 is marginally worse to drive than the Focus, but it's not horrible, and it's a lot better to steer than a Mk5 Astra.

The Cruze would have been a big contender back then if the hatchback was available at the time.

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - leef

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Including the £500 car for &k car that’s no better. I take everything on board. as I said in my original post, I really do like the look the car, I've read lots of different reviews of the car, most very good, one from a famous car magazine being pretty bad.... Thanks again for the replies so far, as always, very informative.

Lee

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - Trilogy

Lee, the Holden Cruze is in the top 5 best selling cars in Australia.

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - unthrottled

Skidpan-it is always worthwhile to do a reality check when considering changing a functional car. Often the question asked: "is X a good car?" overshadows the more important question "Does X car best suit my needs?".

Cheap functional cars are very difficult to beat in terms of overall owner satisfaction. You can see this in terms of the number of threads involving complaints about cars or dealers. The vast majority concern nearly new cars not meeting expectations. No one ever complains about their M reg Citroen Xantia...

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - skidpan

unthrottled

I tried to answer the OP's original question but I just do not see what you are trying to say in your last post other than maybe saying don't change the car, again. If thats the case why not just tell the OP to stick with what has got but you have done that already. IMHO the OP wants a change, has a budget to get a nearly new motor and wanted our help, thats what I tried to give him (along with others) and he thanked us for our input. He also appears to acknowledge your feedback as well.

Lets leave him to make his own decision.

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - thunderbird

unthrottled. Don't start another pointless slanging match again. The OP's original question does not deserve it. Lets keep on topic.

With regards to the OP's question would suggest you look at at the Hyundai i30 and Kia Ceed before settling on the Chevy, some great deals out there and they are good cars. Skoda Octavia is a cracker as well. Personally I find the new Mondeo's way too big, had the same model that you currently own and it was fine but when we looked at the new ones they are huge, check your garage and supermarket parking before you buy if you consider those further.

Personally I find the new Mondeo's way too big, had the same model that you currently own and it was fine but when we looked at the new ones they are huge, check your garage and supermarket parking before you buy if you consider those further.

Good point, looking at stats on the web, the Cruze is only a tiny bit smaller than the Mk3 Mondeo (less than 60mm shorter). The Mk4 is a monster, there's one sitting outside and it's almost the same size as the Octavia Estate sat beside it.

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - daveyjp

As a baby will form part of the equation check backseat legroom. Set the front seats so you and your passenger are comfortable then sit where the baby will sit. If you don't have enough legroom a baby won't and with a toddler it will be a nightmare.

Chevrolet Cruze - Time to change the trusty Mondeo... - thunderbird

Good point, looking at stats on the web, the Cruze is only a tiny bit smaller than the Mk3 Mondeo (less than 60mm shorter). The Mk4 is a monster, there's one sitting outside and it's almost the same size as the Octavia Estate sat beside it.

ChannelZ

If there is a Mondeo next to a Skoda Estate and they are a similar size the Skoda is probably a Superb Estate, slightly bigger even than a Mondeo. We looked at the Octavia and it was a bit shorter that our 52 plate Mondeo, about 5" from memory, wouldn't surprise me if the current Mondeo is about 8" longer than an Octavia.