What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Transit - new London emission laws - sandy56

I have just read of the new emission laws due in before 2012 Olympics.

I was wondering if there is a known economical way of improving the many older diesel cars in London? If there is some garage could make a small fortune. Just add an E.G.R. system?

If you had an older petrol powered car/van would converting it to LPG be acceptable.

I am not a Londoner, just curious about the effects of this new legislation.

Ford Transit - new London emission laws - RT

They're not just due before the Olympics, they started yesterday 1st Jan.

If it's not Euro 3 it's effectively banned (£100/day charge).

It'll put up costs for Londoners and visitors as many tradesmen and black cab drivers will have to replace their vehicles.

We can also expect all the older smoky diesels to be sold on in the provinces.

Correction - it starts tomorrow 3rd Jan

Ford Transit - new London emission laws - thunderbird

Do Black Cab drivers pay congestion charge? thought that was why certain celebrities drove Black Cabs.

Ford Transit - new London emission laws - oldroverboy

Privately registered motor vehicles AND car based taxis have been banned from using diesel in Jordan for some years, (petrol only) to stop people from importing the rubbish that will no longer pass european emissions laws, and anything else that is imported has heavy taxes on it. on top of which imported diesel commercial vehicles have to be less than 5 years old or new, so I think that we are behind in all this. i for one am fed up of getting lungs full of soot fumes and smoke whenever i am in a big city, and it's not as if it was sprung on people, some manufacturers have been doing deals for commercial vehicle users for some time!

Ford Transit - new London emission laws - unthrottled

Adding an EGR system will make soot worse, not better.

The role that diesel smoke plays in air quality is not clear cut. Old diesels with low pressure injection systems produced much more soot by mass. However, the visible soot particles are large and fall out of the atmosphere after a few minutes.

High pressure injection produces much less soot by mass but a much higher number of soot particles. These particles can remain in the atmosphere for a week or more until they become large enough to fall out of the atmosphere.

Of course, this subtlety is lost on the poltical ignoramuses who decide that 'something must be done!' and don't let ignorance get in the way of creating new rules.

Soot particles from diesel engines has long been classed as a carcinogen in heavily congested areas. Lead was removed from fuel once it was discovered it caused reduced brain development in children.

They are a possible carncinogen. My point is that you might actually have a worse particulate problem with a modern diesel than with an old one, even though on paper at least, the new one looks a lot cleaner.

Particulate emissions are only based on mass and not number-even though the number of particles is arguably more important.

In any case DPF drastically reduces soot mass and number!

Ford Transit - new London emission laws - Bobbin Threadbare

Research is ongoing about the effect of small particles on human physiology. It has long been considered (in the nuclear industry anyway) that smaller particles are more dangerous. Nanometre sized particles are of the same order of magnitude or smaller than our cells. This maximises the possibility of interaction.

Quite.

since mass scales to the cube of radius, it is quite possible to reduce the total mass of soot emitted, even if the total number of particles increases dramatically. This is exactly what has happened.

Ford Transit - new London emission laws - jamie745

Am i right to be under the impression that this emission zone which comes in on the 3rd is only applicable to commercial vehicles?

If so theres a lovely 4.7 Grand Cherokee for sale just down the road and i'd be tempted to drive up and down the LEZ all day just to annoy them.