What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - Stalls on cold days - cotton

I've got a 03 plate 1.4 TDCi fiesta which stalls within the first half mile or so on cold days. I turn the key to position 2, wait 10 secs and dont see any glow plug indicator light, start the engine (no probs), then pull up the the end of the road, press the brake, then take my foot off the brake and the rev needle dips (this always happens but it usualy recovers), on cold days the needle drops too low and the engine stalls.I've replaced the glow plugs and tested the old ones (all were working) but this is still happening. Can I test the glow plug relay with a multi meter?

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - Stalls on cold days - piston power

Fuel starvation id say there is a thread running on here regarding the problem with the fuel filter housing and a good comment on there of what to do.

The glow side is worth a check but the fact it started shows it must be ok id check fuel first.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - Stalls on cold days - injection doc

There is a software update for 1.4tdci engines, this is due to the fact that if the rpm drops 50 rpm below the designated idle speed it will switch the fuel off.. This is a software issue that has been re-written.

So any imperfection when its cold, even the wrong grade of engine oil may cause the idle to drop & stall.

You may notice if you ever stall it, even in reverse it doesnt start back up instantly and cranks several times before it fires, this is fixed in the upgrade.

Thanks for the replies. Re the software upgrade, where can I get this done? Is it the same as an ECU remap?

Edited by cotton on 28/12/2011 at 12:38

Anyone?? Don't want to get ripped off by ford if a local garage can do it.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - Stalls on cold days - MikeTorque

The software updates required usually means the entire engine management software is updated. Any garage who has access to the latest Ford Fiesta software updates should be able to install it for you.

A Ford garage will do it for you, they only have to plug in and initiate the upgraded software and let it run until completion and that's the job done, takes around 1+ hour usually so you can wait for it if you have enough time available.

Worth getting a quote for the job first though but shouldn't be too expensive and is covered by warranty if you have one.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - Stalls on cold days - injection doc

yep 2nd that