What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - oobuc5

Dealers selling new cars and offering thousnds of pounds in special offers are on the increase and why is this ,the debt crisis would be the obviouse one ,but there is another reason many of these cars are old stock and are not E6compliant ,not that they will tell you that ! dealers are going to stuck with thousands of old stock that they will have to get rid of to the unsuspecting customer ,diesels are a case in point the government is bringing in E6 regs where you will have to a particle filter fitted to your diesel if you dont you will being payiny higher road tax a, and will be fined for going into the governments L.E.Z. low emission zones that are spring up all over the place , plus there,s the congestion charge you wont be exempt on that one .

So what is being done to warn people about this problem NOTHING IS WHAT as it damage profits , people have a right to know that is coming in 2012 /2013 .

you could get stuck with a car that does not comply !

petrol vehicles are in for a hit to as the government is set to lower the CO2 numbers for the mot forcing peoples cars into a higher road tax bracket .

All of this is set make the government billions of pounds and force a lot of cars off the road which was the thinking behind it .

Edited by oobuc5 on 22/11/2011 at 09:36

EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - veryoldbear

I shall therefore continue to drive my trusty E3 tank until it falls apart ... eat my particulates, suckers !

EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - gordonbennet

I shall therefore continue to drive my trusty E3 tank until it falls apart ... eat my particulates, suckers !

I hope to do the same with my old Benz.

However you can never trust a politician, there are goal posts at the moment, they shift too easily.

EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - leaseman

Not sure where you get your facts from oobuc5, as Euro 6 regulations do not legislate on Carbon Dioxide emissions at all. They stipulate maximums for a number of other noxious biproducts of the internal combustion engine, but as Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Tax) is purely based on CO2 emissions, then surely the onus is on the buyer to choose what is best for them at time of purchase. The compliance with each successive Euro directive invariably brings with it additional, and often expensive, replacement components, and it has been calculated that Euro 6 compliance requirements will increase fuel consumption by up to 8%. So consequently, for the majority of drivers, it may be highly advantageous to buy a Euro 5 car before they all run out! And if there are extra discounts to be had......grab them.

EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - RT

What nonsense!

Euro emission regulations relate to periods of time when it was built, not when it was sold - it's simply impracrical to make them retrospective.

An unsold, but already built, Euro 5 car will be just as saleable as new build Euro 6 cars - although the other model year changes may make the newer model more attractive, or not as the case may be.

EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - leaseman

Not sure whether it's the OP or my post above that you are saying is nonsense RT?

You are correct in saying that the various directives apply to the timing of Type Approval for any new model of car produced, but there then follows a date, 12 months after the directive takes effect, by which all non-compliant cars have to be first registered. Thus there will inevitably be a cut-off date by which some cars have to be registered and discounted deals may well be available to move these cars (and commercial vehicles).

EURO 5 / 6 AND NEW CARS - RT

Not sure whether it's the OP or my post above that you are saying is nonsense RT?

The OP's post - sorry for the ambiguity.

Even the 12 month cut-off has eceptions - CKD Allegros destined for the Middle East were re-imported a few years later, assembled and sold on new registrations despite not complying with then current emission standards