What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - misterp

My corallo was handling like a dog in last years snow, as as tyres were around 4mm went for a set of Uniroyal rain expert..which improved hadndling a lot.

With 12k on them , and with fronts most worn on my Front WD diesel, was considering putting 2 vredesteine quatrac 3's on the front..with a view to going to all 4 eventually. Finances a bit tight, as is storage space so winter tyres not an option. I plan to keep the car another 2 years..I know it is not good to mix winter and summer tyres, but would mixing all weathers with regulars be a safety issue..I hope it would provide some improvement over the coming months should the weather turn yukky again..thoughts ??

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - gordonbennet

Normally i wouldn't agree with such a thing but Rain Experts are one of the best wet weather tyres you can buy as you doubtless already know, in fact many people remark in test comments that they managed remarkably well on RE's during the worse the winter could throw at them.

Did you actually use your RE's in the snow last year, if you didn't you might be pleasantly surprised how well they will cope.

You could always do the unthinkable and rotate your present tyres front to rear, i would but many wouldn't.

If you really want to put some Quatracs on the front and run your best RE's on the back i believe it will be OK, others will disagree, just bear the difference in mind if you find yourself cornering a bit enthusiastically on ice, in very cold conditions the RE's may not quite match the Vreds....if you do this go onto an icy empty area and get the feel of it, you'll soon know if it's acceptable.

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - misterp

Actually, the RE's performed very well, I put them on just before Xmas and they got me up hill and down safely. In snow I would allways drive like a granny any w..perhaps thinking about it I would be better just replacing the 2 fronts ( or swapping with new ones on the back) and putting one of the RE's on the Spare..at the end of the day, if the roads are that bad, I ain't going anywhere, except trying to get home !

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - gordonbennet

''Actually, the RE's performed very well, I put them on just before Xmas and they got me up hill and down safely.''

Own question answered there, if i didn't already have winter spec stuff i'd prefer to be on RE's than anything else non snowflake marked, daughter found them to be good on her Civic too and lasted well, though i did find her a set of Quatrac3's at a decent price in the summer seeing as her tyres would be due for replacement now anyway.

RE is exceptional tyre for it's very fair price IMO, don't tell 'em Pike, they'll all want 'em..;) Have a safe winter.

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - GeoffC

Really pleased to hear this about the RE's as I just ordered a pair for the front on my FWD car.

Yes - the general rule is not to mix winter tyres with Summer - (not sure about all weather as they are kind of neither one thing or the other!) Mix these tyres up and you could have alarming results with unequal grip characteristics.

I suspect, however from what I have read elswhere too , that the mix of RE's and those Vreds might not have such a marked effect - but I would still beware.

If the chips are down though - best winter grip should be on the drive wheels. Not that I am advocating a mix.

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - thunderbird

In the real world the grip difference between having new summer tyres on the front and well worn ones on the rear would be little different to having all weather tyres on the front and new sumer tyres on the rear. What I am saying is in both cases the front wheels will have the best grip and in less than perfect conditions the rear will loose grip first. This could be a problem in an emergency and although your insurance company could do nothing about the summer tyre mix they may well take exception the the winter/summer mix. This of coure applies to front wheel drive cars, rear wheel drive would be the opposite, you would tend to understeer with the less grippy tyres on the front and have poor brakes.

Personally I use all weather all round during the winter months thus that is what I would recommend. Having said that how can all the local Taxis who mix tyres be wrong, they have the "knowledge" plus an ex copper down the street from me has 3 summer tyres and one winter tyre on his and itson the rear of a front wheel drive car.

I guess it's a matter of finding the tyre that suits your car and needs

Winters, generally, are likely to wear more inthe summer and possibly become too soft in the heat - leading to less cornering and braking ability.

All seasons seem, to me to be the worst of both worlds - instead of the best - but that's not from experience - just from reasding reviews and results - I am sure there must be tyres out there to suit certain cars and give a good all round performance.

There again - if I liken it to footware - you wouldn't do well running inHeavy steel toe capped boots, and trainers would not suit mountain climbing ;)

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - corax

All seasons seem, to me to be the worst of both worlds - instead of the best - but that's not from experience - just from reasding reviews and results - I am sure there must be tyres out there to suit certain cars and give a good all round performance.

If you own a bread and butter car, you're not really going to notice a huge difference between summer tyres and all seasons in the summer. I will say though that there is less directness to the steering on my Vredesteins, but only noticed when hooning around corners - they can feel a bit woolly. The rest of the time there's no difference.

If you own a performance car where the whole point is to have a car that handles nicely at high speed, I would have a decent summer tyres/winter tyres combination.

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - RT

If you own a bread and butter car, you're not really going to notice a huge difference between summer tyres and all seasons in the summer. I will say though that there is less directness to the steering on my Vredesteins, but only noticed when hooning around corners - they can feel a bit woolly. The rest of the time there's no difference.

If you own a performance car where the whole point is to have a car that handles nicely at high speed, I would have a decent summer tyres/winter tyres combination.

Even summer tyre are a compromise between wet and dry conditions - do you consider having a set of each and putting the right set on each morning?

I use All-Seasons which have relatively good winter performance - they also perform well in wet summer conditions - I can live with their lack of absolute summer dry grip because I'm too old to drive like that any more!

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - ianhad2

I have been using Goodyear Hydragrips for the past 6-7 years, with a 2 week gap using Ubiroyals. I was getting wheelspin on the slightest slop. Went back to the Hydragrip. Used them summer and winter.

Almera GTi, never kept a car so long.

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Done a quick Google... The Goodyear Hydragrip appears to have a very similar tread pattern to the Kleber Quadraxers. You can check out what users think about both on Tyrereviews.co.uk.

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Hydragrip.htm

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kleber/Quadraxer.htm

Similar only , but not the same - obviously that general tread pattern shape is a succesfull one. Rain Expert scores higher - but bear in mind you need a decent pool of voters before the raings are more realistic. Also Tyre A maybe better than tyre B on one car, but not on another.

2xQuattrac3 + 2x Rain Expert ..mixing all weather - thunderbird

Similar only , but not the same - obviously that general tread pattern shape is a succesfull one. Rain Expert scores higher - but bear in mind you need a decent pool of voters before the raings are more realistic. Also Tyre A maybe better than tyre B on one car, but not on another.

We use Kleber Quadraxers on both of our cars during the winter months. They are a good tyre and are quieter on both cars than their summer equivalents. Grip in the snow is much better than a summer tyre but in all other conditions they don't feel any different in normal driving to the summer tyres. They have the "3 peak and snow flake symbol" which means they are approved for use in regions of the world where winter tyres are required by law.

Highly recommended and a reasonable price, about 1/2 that of summer tyres on both cars in the correct size and speed rating.