What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - Fordfocusbuyer

HI,

After a long look and lots of research, I have decided to buy a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) in the Zetec, Ghia or Titanium trim. I do 18000m a year and a mix of motorway, country and urban driving. I wanted a car that was no more than 5 years old and with around 40,000 on clock.

I have found a 2009 Titanium from Quicks dealers (part of Pendragon group) and it is an ex-hertx rental car for sure (I realise all the arguments for and against) for £8,800.

The issue is that it has 45,000 on the clock - so I have 2 questions....

1) Is that mileage too much to be considered 'a good breaking in'? If you agree that ex-rental cars do that.

2) How many miles more might I expect from the ex-rental car before certain issues occur? What issues?

Thanks.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - jamie745

First of all the Titanium is a good choice, the Zetec crashes about a bit with its firmer ride and doing 18k a year you dont want that but the issue here is not about it being an ex-rental, most rental companies now limit or 'chip' the cars to prevent people thrashing it (i rented a chipped Mondeo which felt like it had a tennis ball under the accelerator). The issue is with it being a 2009 model it will have a DPF on it and you can hunt round these forums for many comments regarding those. Its the Diesel Particulate Filter which if it goes wrong is a £1000 bill right there and theres been numerous complaints of failures and because clearing it depends on the type of driving you do, dealers have often tried to wriggle out of replacing them. On the sort of driving you do you should have no problem (in theory) but you dont know what sort of miles those 45k were.

Rentals tend to have been well maintained so i wouldnt worry too much about that, its mileage is possibly slightly high for its age but the biggest concern will be on the DPF, if that goes wrong that negates the saving of buying a diesel. I'd still recommend a slighter older one (pre 08 i dont think the Focus had one) even with higher mileage purely because it doesnt have the filter. Diesels reliability has taken a hit due to these filters pushed through by the EU.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - Fordfocusbuyer

Thanks for that. Firstly, I was looking for a non-DPF model due to the comments online, but there just isn't many 2007 titanium 1.6 CDTi out there. However, I do know that the ex-rental car is likely to have done alot of motorway driving as it has averages about 11k every 6 months.

I just hope that that 'thashing' it may or may not have got won't prove my downfall.

Can anyone say what I should look out for when test driving and self-inspecting vehicle?

Thanks again.

By the way this is the second car I have owned and first one I have bought and although I have put a refundable deposit on the car, it comes with a 1k or 7 day money back scheme so I could get it fully serviced and checked I guess.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - jamie745

Theres quite a few Titanium diesels with the 2.0litre engine which gives you a bit more go while barely compromising on economy.

True - unfortunately it has a bigger effect on insurance for me. Add that to the higher tax and the loss of 10mpg over the 1.6 and it means cannot afford one.

thanks again though

If finances are tight you may be interested to know my recent study on petrol v diesel discovered the diesel Focus carries a 14% insurance premium over the equivalent petrol model. In my view in the real world the 2.0 may prove more economical especially with long distance driving. Have a look at some petrol models, usually you can get ones with lower mileage, owned by private buyers not racking up huge mileages through fleets, no DPF's so more reliable (no chance of a £1000 filter bill coming your way) and significantely cheaper to buy than their diesel counterparts, even with higher tax if you do the maths you may find over a couple of years the total costs are around the same and i would advise anybody on strict budget constraints to avoid the DPF diesels as they can be a ticking money timebomb.

You're looking to spend nearly £9,000 on a car, you could probably get a decent low mileage petrol in Ghia spec for around £5,000. Four grand buys alot of petrol.

Edited by jamie745 on 23/09/2011 at 17:16

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - Collos25

The rental companies I deal with tend not to service them at all its money of their bottom line at this sort of mileage and its age its doubtful its been on rental more than likely a lease car you can confirm its history look at the log book for one.

If you look at similar cars for sale you will see them with starship mileages achieved without any problems

Check out one like this (i dont know where you live so i used a famous London postcode)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20113841643...p

That will probably be cheaper to insure for you, only done 24k, nice spec and its nearly half the price to buy it as your ex-rental Diesel and has no DPF to go wrong. Im not saying buy this very car, but this is an example of how much cheaper a lower mileage petrol can be.

Far be it from me to tell anybody what to buy but if it was me i'd buy this, bank the 4 odd grand and have that for a year or two.

Edited by jamie745 on 23/09/2011 at 17:23

You are right and I am actually doing exactly that looking for Petrol versions on Ghia and Titanium to (and actually the Zetec Climate)

I think part of the problem is I am being very picky and only want the 115 VVT version as it has a bit more welly than the normal 1.6. I drive over hills and getting round lorries I would like a bit more - but it is all about comprimise.

Buying a Focus is a lot harder than I thought, but thanks you have confirmed at least I am looking a the right options.

By the way I started by considering the following...

Astra, Civic, Ceed and Golf and the Quickclear Heated Front windscreen (I get snowed on alot where I live) and general good reviews for buying the Focus made me choose it.

Cheers.

I had an 07 plate Zetec automatic, it was an ok car but i struggled to see the point in an autobox in such a low powered car but it was a decent motor.

Its interesting you mention hills as one of our residents, a certain lovely Mrs Threadbare had a mk1 1.6 Focus and found hills annoying eventually. The mk2 is heavier than the original.

Its hard to choose a Focus because theres so many of them, to get the right one is tricky. I'd prefer it over the Astra (rock hard seats), Civic and Golf both fall into the too-expensive-for-what-it-is category for me, the C'eed is a good little car but if you can get a Focus instead then take it.

The fuel bills will be heavy with the petrol but if you can get the car for half the price and half the potential risk (in regard to DPF etc) with cheaper insurance over a year-18 months it still wont cost as much as the purchase price of the diesel before you've taxed, insured or put any diesel in it.

The diesel is high mileage for its age, more expensive to insure, twice the price to buy, runs on more expensive fuel and twice as likely to have a massive failure.

You make a very convincing argument about a cheaper petrol version. Do you think a 1.6, 1.6 (115) or 1.8 would be best?

If it was me i'd go for the 1.8 but theres fewer of them about, if the fuel or insurance makes it tricky then the 1.6 (115) would be an ok compromise.

Autotrader have quite a few 06/07 1.8 Ghia for 5.5-6k with 40-50k m -that would save 3k from the 2009 diesel - this is why I have been going back and forth about which one. But it still makes the 1.8 cheaper I guess.

What you need to do is take the purchase price for both, add on the yearly tax, insurance ans estimated fuel cost and see what each would cost in total over two years and see what the total is. The petrol might still come out at more on your mileage, but if its not a huge amount more then its worth it for avoiding dpf problems.

Thanks - I have looked at the log book and it was serviced 3 times by Herzt Car Maintance Centre and in the glovebox I found a receipt and damage report from the last person to have rented it for a week from Birmingham Airport. He was an Italian guy and the damage report was useful to see where the small scraches were but nothing major.

I wish it was an ex-lease in a way.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - Ben 10

I have a privately owned 1.8 TDCI Titanium ex-Avis rental. It was 6 months old when I bought it with about 9K on the clock. I have had it serviced at Fords during the warranty. It has an MOT to July 2012. In moondust silver, no dents. Changed the oil every six months whether needed or not. Never given any trouble, touch wood !

It is a July 2007 model 44,000 on the clock now, and I have it up for sale for £6250......

Edited by Ben 10 on 23/09/2011 at 17:33

Cheers for that offer....if only it was the 16V engine - I have test driven the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 and the 1.8 (for coming from a 1.6 petrol engine) was tricky not the stall pulling away and was not great from 0-30. The 1.6 and 2.0 were better at not stalling. Each to their own I guess and I am sure would get used to it, but it is 16V I am after - sorry.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - Ben 10

Thats okay.

I have had a MK1 petrol from Hertz in the past and that gave me no trouble either. Some rental companies sell direct cutting out the middleman. Why not try that way and you might pull a lower mileage newer reg for the same money. I wouldn't hesitate buying ex rental. They usually get rid after 6 months from new whatever the mileage. Usually prior to the first service i.e. 12,500.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (110) Titanium 2009 - Ford Focus Ex-Rental - mileage - Bobbin Threadbare

I had a petrol 1.6L Focus. It managed with me putting about 2.5k on it per month and I sold it on at over 90k on the clock. It was great. I sold it as I needed a little more power, but like the OP, when I first started driving it I couldn't have afforded the insurance for a larger-engined car. It was a superb car though; its handling was good and it wasn't that bad on steep hills; depends how impatient you are!! Ex-motability vehicle so well looked after and low mileage when I got it.