What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka Zetec (57 plate) - when should I trade in my 2007 Ford Ka? - Bryanross

Hi, I bought my car with delivery miles on it in early 2009 for £5500. It now has 36,000 miles on the clock. So far I've had no problems with it and enjoy driving it. I need a realiable car for work

My initial plan was to keep it for as long as possible and trade it in when it starts costing me a lot in repairs, taking up one of those offers of minimum trade-in of £1000 which my local dealer offers regularly.

However, I have just had my reminder in for £165 to road tax it for a year, a jump from £120 last year, and it is due a service and MOT within the next couple of months. This has set me wondering if I should consider trading it in ealier, maybe next year. (I read somewhere that good deals can be got around Christmas time, when business is slow.)

My late father used to say to trade in around 45.000, miles but I have no idea how he arrived at that figure.

Any views would be appreciated. Thanks

Ford Ka Zetec (57 plate) - when should I trade in my 2007 Ford Ka? - unthrottled

If saving money is your goal, hold out for as long as possible. The road tax is a swine-don't get me started on that!I pay £200 pa on a 1.6.

I wouldn't expect a well maintained 2007 Ford to give problems. If it ain't broke...

Ford Ka Zetec (57 plate) - when should I trade in my 2007 Ford Ka? - Avant

Your dad's point will have been that if you trade it in after about 3-4 years or 40-50,000 miles you'll still get a reasonable price for it. The alternative is as you say to run it on until it gets too expensive.

May be a good idea to tax it for 6 months and shop around in th next few months: if you buy new or nearly-new you'll find that most of the more recenty designed small cars have lower emissions and therefore a lower tax band. My daughter's 1.3 Yaris has the same size engine as your Ka, is a lot more powerful but costs only £30 pa to tax. And there are plenty of cars to choose from in Band A (free) and Band B (£20).

Edited by Avant on 10/07/2011 at 00:46

Ford Ka Zetec (57 plate) - when should I trade in my 2007 Ford Ka? - Bryanross

Thanks very much to you both for your advice, will mull it over.

Ford Ka Zetec (57 plate) - when should I trade in my 2007 Ford Ka? - unthrottled

...but you can pick up a slightly older car for a lot less. Paying thousands extra to save fifty quid on road tax means you need to buy a lot of cheap tax disks to recoup the investment. Depreciation is still most motorists' biggest killer.

Ford Ka Zetec (57 plate) - when should I trade in my 2007 Ford Ka? - jamie745

Thats why ive always seen it as a good idea to get a slightly older car in above average condition and below average miles for its age which has suffered the vast majority of its depreciation already. And the trick is, if you can be bothered with the fuss, to get rid of it before it starts causing you trouble which can generally be after 2-3 years in most cases. Put your third MOT on it and get rid. Another benefit to buying slighter older is anything it needed doing in its first 3 years was done on warranty, any recalls its had have already been done and enough will have been sold to make an informed decision on the merits of it.

Usually when a manufacturer updates its model the older one despite maybe being only 6 months older suddenly suffers a big drop in value. The moment the new Mondeo came out in late 2007 i saw 07 plate Mondeo's suddenly worth 25% less. Theres many flaws in purchasing a car with the sole aim of "saving money" like people will pay 20 grand to change their car to something which does 7mpg more, not realising they're gonna need to drive it for 50 years to recoup the "saving". You're always going to lose money on a car unless you buy something which later becomes a "modern classic" and desirable but you could be waiting around for some time. The best way to minimise the damage is to buy a car with impeccable service history, around 5-7 years old where most of its value has been lost, maintain it well and get rid of it inside around three years and do it again.