What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Sulphur Man

As suspected by several on this forum, new car sales are again slumping in the UK, despite the apparent long waiting lists on certain models. Various newspapers have reported a sharp downturn in sales over spring, a supposedly buoyant time for car sales. My local Honda dealer, without any prompting, quoted £3K off any new Accord and 3 years free servicing. (We were at the dealership to check out a used FR-V, not buy a new Accord!)

This malaise will probably extend across Europe. Spain economy is hobbled. France and German banks have lost gazillions lending to Greece, and may need nationalised (taxpayer) money to stay 'healthy'. Basically, less and less people will be shelling out on new wheels, and even then on something more modest, than they might have bought before, or a used car. All this means big revenue loss for car makers.

Where do we go from here?

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - veryoldbear

I would expect another scrappage scheme, thus allowing us to support the South Korean and Japanese economies.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - unthrottled

Well since we've scrapped so many servicable cars , what will be being scrapped this time-all the new cars that were bought under the previous scheme?

I hope to never see such a waste of money ever again. The industry will just have to keep on consolidating sadly. Government regs have reduced any real choice anyway-most cars are clones of each other so the concept of choice is a bit of an illusion.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Craigdm

Manufacturers have learnt their lesson, and no longer build cars they can't sell. By restricting the supply, they're able to maintain the margins on the cars they do sell.

I don't think we'll see the situation we were in 5 or so years ago for a good few years.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Man without a plan

Maybe its just my rubbish example, but I think cars are too b***** expensive.

3 1/2 years ago I purchased a Fiesta brand new for £8000 (1.4 Petrol Zetec with sports and tech pack "free")

3 1/2 years later and the equivalent model is nearly £11k

The increase in VAT has only added about £200 to that. So has the extra £2800 gone in increased manufacturing costs or are Ford trousering a wedge extra?

N.B. Another factor that I overlooked could be that when I bought my Fiesta, it was about 6 - 12 months before the new model came out. Perhaps the price difference could be to do with this but I was thinking more that the "free" extras I got were do do with that.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - jamie745

or are Ford trousering a wedge extra?

If only.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Sulphur Man

You have a point on car prices. A Nissan Note 1.5dci Tekna - nice spec, but even the standard satnav-bluetooth would only cost £400 as an option - is £15K. For a small car assembled in Newcastle.

The earlier point about maintaining healthy margins doesn't help if the cars arent being sold in the first place!

Something has to give.....

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - madf

Trouble with new car prices is escalating costs:

Iron Ore: http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=iron-ore&months=60

quintupled in 5 years.

Rubber? http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=rubber&months=60

Copper? new all time highs.And so on. When your raw material costs are rising at 10% plus pa..and sterling is depreciating against the US$ in which materials are priced, it is remarkable UK car prices are so low...

Edited by madf on 15/06/2011 at 18:18

So many people don't grasp that building a small car is in many ways harder than building a big one. Crumple zones are much harder to fit in, 3 cylinder engines are a real challenge in terms of NVH, you still have to fit ABS, ESP, catalytic converters, fuel injection systems etc just to pass the regulatory hurdles.

Small cars were cheap to produce in the old dys because they were flimsy and mechanically simple. Single barrel carburettor in lieu of fuel injection etc. Not an option any more.

New cars are a bargain when you consider what you're actually getting. If you can't stump up £10k+ for a new car then you can't afford a new car-it's your fiscal problem, not the OEM's problem. If you don't like it, try setting up your own car manufacturing company and see if you can do a better job. Ha ha!

A couple of years ago cars were regularly being sold for less than cost price. An untenable situation that meant that taxpayers ended up subsidising vanity purchases. I don't wish to see a repeat of that fiasco.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - retgwte
"
Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - pd

Car manufacturers have finally woken up to the fact that they are better off making 30,000 examples of a car at a decent profit per unit rather than 100,000 with no or minus profit.

They've cut capacity and many now build far more cars to order rather than building up huge unwanted stocks.

As a result, prices have gone up, there aren't the massive discounts and mad lease deals there used to be (well, there are some, but not anywhere near the old amount) and although sales have fallen many car manufacturers are doing very well.

A knock on effect has been that (despite lower demand) used car prices are generally higher than 2-3 years ago with some models and specs very hard to find and there isn't the same glut of give away prices 6 month old cars.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Craigdm

Maybe you're forgetting the currency exchange rates, The Euro is the defining factor for most european manufacturers, not our beloved £.

4 years ago a E15K car = £10K

Now a E15K car = £15K

I'm actually suprised that new cars haven't risen by much more.

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""Manufacturers have learnt their lesson, and no longer build cars they can't sell.""

If the housing market is anything to go by, as the rich get richer and everyone else gets poorer in Britain, sales of luxury cars will hold up while ordinary cars slump.

If there's another scrappage scheme, it should be be one where the car being scrapped has to be a large, powerful gas guzzler, and the new car being subsidised is an economical one that does at least 50 mpg.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 16/06/2011 at 14:11

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Bobbin Threadbare

It'd be interesting to know what types of car are actually falling; I read on HJ that Fiestas are the most popular car of the moment. I think car manufacturers are trying to play on the low tax, low insurance thing; befuddling people with eco and hybrid and high mpg etc. I would imagine that sales of the big gas guzzlers are dropping, but little cars and 4x4s (due to the winters we've had lately) are not doing too badly, considering we are clawing our way out of a recession.

What does 'eco' actually mean in quantatitive terms?

Any - Falling new car sales - what happens next? - Bobbin Threadbare

Quite.