What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo tdci 2006 hot starting problem - Jon@Ilch

My 2006 Mondeo tdci - 74k - has a warm/hot starting problem but starts and runs perfectly when cold. However when warm/hot on turning the engine it fires as if on one cylinder, makes a heavy knocking (external as distinct from within engine - maybe exhaust) rev counter barely registers but after about 5 seconds the engine picks up and then runs normally. This occurs regardless of whether the clutch pedal is depressed or not and no smoke is emitted. Any ideas? Your thoughts would be gratefullly received!

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo tdci 2006 hot starting problem - unthrottled

Hot starting problems are virtually always a sign of lack of fuel pressure. Diesel loses its viscosity when it is hot and, combined with slow cranking speed the effect of leaks becomes noticeable.

Could be a simple air leak allowing air into the fuel system which gradually clears itself when the engine is at idle speed. check fuel filter/housing fit.

Next stop injector seals. If one of the ijector seals is leaking the fuel rail will struggle to build pressure at cranking speed.

Then there's the worn HP fuel pump!!! Hot starting problems can be the first sign of a worn pump. Try the first two first.

Hot starting problems are virtually always a sign of lack of fuel pressure. Diesel loses its viscosity when it is hot and, combined with slow cranking speed the effect of leaks becomes noticeable.

Could be a simple air leak allowing air into the fuel system which gradually clears itself when the engine is at idle speed. check fuel filter/housing fit.

Next stop injector seals. If one of the ijector seals is leaking the fuel rail will struggle to build pressure at cranking speed.

Then there's the worn HP fuel pump!!! Hot starting problems can be the first sign of a worn pump. Try the first two first.

Thanks very much - most helpful!

Its quite a time ago but I thought you might be interested in an update. Started with your advice with a new fuel filter - unfortunately this didn't cure the problem and as the problem was subject to a warranty claim the whole matter dragged on but eventually after main dealers diagnostics did not show any fault an upload of the latest software cured my problem. Anyway thanks for your input.

Jon

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo tdci 2006 hot starting problem - speedy06

My 2006 Mondeo tdci - 74k - has a warm/hot starting problem but starts and runs perfectly when cold. However when warm/hot on turning the engine it fires as if on one cylinder, makes a heavy knocking (external as distinct from within engine - maybe exhaust) rev counter barely registers but after about 5 seconds the engine picks up and then runs normally. This occurs regardless of whether the clutch pedal is depressed or not and no smoke is emitted. Any ideas? Your thoughts would be gratefullly received!

check your air filter and your fuel filter as i had same problem.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo tdci 2006 hot starting problem - unthrottled

check your air filter and your fuel filter as i had same problem.

A poorly fitting fuel fitter could indeed let air into the fuel system, but the air filter NEVER gives starting problems. In fact it is rare for an air filter to get clogged enough to give a significant loss of performance, even at high revs. The only dirty thing about air fliters is the lies companies like K & N tell gullible wannabes in order to convince them that the stock air filter is choking the engine.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo tdci 2006 hot starting problem - mike4scuba
Had exactly the same issue on my mondeo 06 model. The cure was to take it to a local ford dealer. They will check the ecu software version and in most case update it to the latest. This also calibrates the injectors. Never had a problem with hot/warm issues after that and my mpg increased. The cost was around £60.
So go to your ford dealer to check the software version and update.

Thought you might like to know that your advice worked perfectly - upgraded software did the trick! Thanks for your input

Jon