Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - macru

Have put deposit on a Mercedes E220 estate from a non MB dealership, but am feeling slightly uneasy. Can anyone put my mind at rest? Or not?

Car is nearly 2 years old, 2 previous owners - a fleet management company c/o ERAC for just over a year and a private individual who owned it for 6 months.

I was told it had just come in, about 7 days ago, 'tho the mileage was 2-300 more than advertised. the V5 showed the previous owners name with the dealerships address - I was told that this was because the previous owner had a private plate on which he wanted to keep and that because the V5 had to be altered to have the original plate on, the deal'ship submitted the form with the individuals name on (rather than theirs) together with the deal'ship address to avoid the car appearing to have 3 owners.

The extra mileage, we were told, was due to the time taken for the above.

Maybe, and I hope, I'm just being unnecessarily cautious and uneasy and this is all ok.

How does this sound to anyone else? Is the changing of the V5 in this way usual?

We're talking quite a lot of money here, so I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - the_bandit

The previous owner should have put his private plate on retention or transferred it to his next car. This does not have the effect of creating a new owner.

300miles to go backwards and forwards for numberplate work?

Smells like s*** then it probably is s***. Walk away with deposit and don't go back.

You should be able to get a good deal on a 2yr from a main dealer which is a much better place to part with this kind of cash IMHO.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - NARU

ERAC = enterprise rent a car

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - daveyjp

Private owner for just 6 months. Why, why and why again? Without an answer from the previous keeper I'd be wary.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - gordonbennet

Presumably still under makers warranty.

Ex renter, then owned for 6 months only, my first thoughts would be wondering how many misfuelled gallons of petrol have gone through the fuel system ,and why isn't this car in the MB used car network.

It would have to be a lot cheaper than from an MB dealer for me to take the gamble.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - Collos25
If its anything like Germany then the rental companies do this to get round paying vat and car tax.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - macru

Thanks for all your comments - very useful.

Just to explain a couple of things - I was told the recent owner purchased a car from the dealer who is selling the Merc and that they took the Merc in as part exchange.

I have been told by MBenz and the dealer that there is no service history, so presumeably it hasn't needed a service. The service indicator in the car shows a service is due (a 'C' service) in 12000 miles, which means it will have done 29000 before a first service is due.

Unusual or maybe not?

I will speak to someone at MB about service requirements.

Thanks again

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - merlin

29000 before the first service doesn't sound right. I have an E220 that was first registered early 2009. It needed its first service after ~16k miles as indicated by the service indicator. The oil light came on as I was driving to the garage to get it serviced. The second service came up after ~30k miles.

Edited by merlin on 26/05/2011 at 12:25

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - daveyjp

It should have had an A and B service previously as servicing is now required annually (or circa 15,000 miles) on MBs. If it hasn't been done wave goodbye to the remainder of the MB warranty

Sounds like another reason to avoid. Is it a lot cheaper than a main dealer car?

Edited by daveyjp on 26/05/2011 at 13:12

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - WellKnownSid

I drive lots of hire cars through most of the rental companies... and servicing is generally non-existent... probably 30% of the cars I pick up have overdue service / service oil / whatever flashing up. The other 70% simply haven't got to the mileage to need a service.

With that kind of investment, I would avoid...

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - NARU

I agree. A significant number of the 12 month old landcruisers I saw on dealer forecourts were ex hire and had missed their 10,000 mile service. Mileages were 12-15k.

None of the dealers would give me a straight answer about the remainder of the 3 year warranty.

Presumably still under makers warranty.

Ex renter, then owned for 6 months only, my first thoughts would be wondering how many misfuelled gallons of petrol have gone through the fuel system ,and why isn't this car in the MB used car network.

It would have to be a lot cheaper than from an MB dealer for me to take the gamble

Do you mean it could have been refuelled with petrol instead of diesel? If so, will that cause permanent damage to engine, even if it's been cleaned properly?

Is it possible to tell if a diesel engines had petrol in it?

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - Pezzer

Is it a diesel ? May have been sorted by now but.........

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=86281

Yes it is diesel.

and it is cheaper than main dealer.............interesting 'tho, Mercedes say that if the car has missed it's service, or is well overdue, the warranty is still valid.

Interested to hear about the hire cars that don't get serviced.

Hmm, still thinking about what to do.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - WellKnownSid

Gone are the days of hire cars being less than six months old and 10,000 miles, although some of the companies do still stick to this - presumably it's all down to the fleet deals they get and the availability of working capital to take advantage of those deals.

These days, it's not just the bread and butter Focuses, Astras, Mondeos and Insignias... pretty much any car I pick up could be up to 18 months old and have 30-50,000 on the clock, of which I'll usually add a thousand miles in a few days.

I've had a couple of Kugas recently... horrible car in 2WD due to the spike in torque from the 2l diesel engine leaving the front tyres scrubbing all over the road! They both had "service oil" on the dashboard, despite both being under 20k miles... I presume that this is a DPF regeneration issue and that the oil in the sump is now mostly diesel... Doesn't bode well for engine life once a year or two out of warranty.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - bonzo dog

Mercedes say that if the car has missed it's service, or is well overdue, the warranty is still valid

Get it in writing from MBUK NOT a dealer

Mercedes say that if the car has missed it's service, or is well overdue, the warranty is still valid

Get it in writing from MBUK NOT a dealer

Did as you suggested and they have - thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Does this part way purchase of Merc look ok? - merlin

It was the new E-Class Estate w212 model that was affected by the injectors issue. This wasn't available until 2010 in the UK. As the OP says the car is nearly 2 years old I would guess it's the previous generation w211 model so should be ok, at least as far as the injectors go.

It was the new E-Class Estate w212 model that was affected by the injectors issue. This wasn't available until 2010 in the UK. As the OP says the car is nearly 2 years old I would guess it's the previous generation w211 model so should be ok, at least as far as the injectors go.

Apologies for my ignorance, but how do I find out if it is a W211 model or not?

Apologies for my ignorance, but how do I find out if it is a W211 model or not?

The headlights are the obvious difference for me. Oval for the W211, more angular/square for the W212.

You can also checkout http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/ and search for W211 and W212. BTW the estate E-class has a S designation, not to be confused with the S class. So...

W211 - saloon E-class - 2002-2009

S211 - estate E class - 2002?-2009

W212 - saloon E class - 2009-

S212 - estate E class - 2010-

Thanks - a great help!