What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - ob0t

Hello all,

I'm looking to replace my 306 HDi, whose head gasket sprung a leak during the week and is now demanding a series of rather expensive repairs.

I'm attracted to the idea of getting another diesel, but not sure I put enough miles in to make it worthwhile - driving is mostly 5 mile weeks doing the supermarket run, with one or two longer motorway trips a month.. All told about 4-5k miles a year max.

Living in darkest Peckham, insurance is a problem - cheapest price this year came in at >650 with 3 years NCB on a car I paid 1500 quid for.. With that in mind, what kind of small-mid family estate should I be looking at in the £2-3k range? I'm tempted by another french diesel (04 Megane/308 estates both seem to be within reach), but is there anything else worth looking at?

Many thanks in advance!

Andy

£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - unthrottled

1.6 petrol Focus estate is cheap to buy and insure. 5k annual mileage really doesn't warrant a diesel. Your £3k budget will go considerably further with petrol, or, alternatively, get a slightly older petrol for c £2.5k and with the £500 saving push up your excess to bring the premium down to something more reasonable.

£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - Avant

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Unthrottled: petrol would probably be best for your needs, not least because a well-used diesel can need expensive repairs.

To an extent at your budget level, condition is more important than make or model; secondhand French cars are more of a gamble then others because although they can be very good if properly looked after and well-driven, they are more likely to go wrong if neglected or abused.

Something straightforward like a Focus or Astra should suit you, as there should be plenty around to choose from. If you want more room, there's the Octavia or Mondeo and various medium-sized Japanese estates (although there won't be as many of those around).

Edited by Avant on 15/05/2011 at 18:45

£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - Flying Red

I would ask whether you could manage without a car? If you do your supermarket shop online and rent when you go on occasional long runs, you would be quids in. The other option is to look at joining a car club.

Even a sensible bike with panniers could be used for shopping trips if you can't get organised to shop online. An old car which spends 99% of its time parked up is a money pit.

£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - Boulder2k9

Skoda Fabia estate petrol engine of some sort, reasonably big inside with very low insurance. 3k will get a nice one!

Ooh - thanks for the tip! Insurance is on a par with what I'm currently paying and lower than anything else I've looked at, which is definitely a plus.

I've thought about this, and come to the conclusion I'd rather not be without a car if I can avoid it.. I'm using it predominantly to carry my bikes around the country, which needs a lot of space (2-3 bikes on the roof, wheels in the boot, tools/clothes for up to a week), and often has me away for 4-5 days at a time. I used to rent, but the bills do rack up rather quickly, and it can be tricky finding a vehicle big enough to carry the lot!

Thanks all for suggestions. Looks like a petrol estate it is, and definitely seems worth cutting the budget a little - my voluntary exess is already maxed out to get the best price, but I figure it's probably worth saving a little to cover servicing and maintenance in the future (something I completely neglected to do for my poor 306).

£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - japdriver

If you need a small estate, and minimal running costs, how about a Peugeot 206 station wagon, with the 1.1 petrol engine?

I would guess you would struggle to find a cheaper to insure, more frugal petrol estate - but it's not massive....

Good luck with your choice.

ATb

Mark

£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - unthrottled
If you can bear to do that, it really is the best way way to go. People always like to spend money on stuff they can 'see', whereas it's the stuff that you don't see that determiines whether you get from a to b or not!

The 206SW is not a light car-the 1.1 is just too underpowered to be bearable IMO.
£3k budget - low insurance estate cars? - daveyK_UK

the 206 is adequate if your after cheap.