What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - Gagan

I have been pondering over which 4X4 to buy with the top 3 picks being Nissan X Trail Tekna, Honda CRV ES and Volvo XC90 SE

Till date Nissan and Honda have been leading the race as I wanted the price to be under 30K, though wife has been pushing hard to pick a 7 seater which takes Nissan and Honda out of the race

I have received today a compelling ( i would think) offer for a new Volvo XC90 SE. A discount of GBP 9933 pounds so a new XC90 SE (2011 model) with the high end inscription mettalic paint and a bluetooth system and rear child power lock system to be delivered under 29,400 pounds.

Volvo has started offering serious discounts on XC90; one reason could be that the model is now 9 years old and Volvo is expected to launch a new version (a new design altogether of XC90 in 2012..

Should one wait for the new version ( though all new cars have inherent flaws which get tuned over time) or pick the refined current version of XC90 though it doesn't look as young as an X Trail or a CRV

Sorry a lil confused given the options ...also got an offer of 3300 GBP off a Nissan X Trail Tekna with 3 year 0% APR loan

Any advice on would XC90 be a good bet at the price??

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - Boulder2k9

Out of those three I would have the Volvo, I thinkl they are excellent car's inside and outside and at that price even better. The engines are characterful but slow and sometimes quite noisy too but i like them however. Very practical interior too!

When the newer model come's out you may not like it and of course it will be much more expensive than 30k odd. Volvo XC90's hold their value well so I reckon it is a sound buy.

Good luck

Thanks ...yes I did some analysis on the "retained value" after 4 years and even assuming a depreciation of 60% (on the list price of 40K)..it works out well because the offer price is already 27% lower than the list price

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - motorprop
a friend bought an 07 XC90 3.2 petrol 5-6 months ago at £12500. They do drop..

Out of interest, what did you get offered after discount on a new X Trail ?

Yes the petrol versions drop because they are the least desirable especially the 3.2, I'd say the dealer was just delighted to get rid of that car off his forecourt. The diesel models are much more desirable and therefore hold their value much better.

Yes, petrol versions have not had a great run so Volvo is offering only 2.4 D5 AWD option from last october... (automatic version and its an easier to resell than manual one)

X Trail Tekna was 26K OTR (with metallic)...3 yr servicing and breakdown for 3 yr for 350 pounds and a 0% APR 3 yr loan (its meant to be a loyalty offer only for customers who own nissan but the dealer was ready to eb creative to offer it)

Edited by Gagan on 19/04/2011 at 16:00

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - Avant

Presumably you've test-driven an XC90 and liked it: if so, go for it. It's a good car that will last you well, and you won't get a discount like that on the new model for some time.

Yes test driven all 3..the ride is slightly better with honda/nissan especially handling around turns but Volvo had a good solid feel to it..also the new 200 bhp engine is quite good even at low speeds (unlike past) especially if one doesn't have sports car ambitions..

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - turbo11

As said previously, why not test drive all three in one day if possible ( my sister did five test drives in two days when choosing her 4x4). Then you will know for sure. On each test drive, be a passenger first and see what the ride and noise are like. Maybe worth trying to drive on a rough bit of road, if this is typical of the roads you drive on.

Then when driving, see what they handle like, and how comfortable the seats and driving position is like. Most other things you can look at in the showroom. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - turbo11

Sorry missed that you have driven all three. My sister liked the CRV ride quality, especially as the rural roads where she is are very poor.

Yes you are right..the handling and the ride quality was certainly better with CRV and X Trail especially under city traffic conditions.....XC90 sometimes makes you feel its weight...tried parking and tried some steep turns too and CRV and X Trail handled it better...though on a dual carriageway/motorway XC90 handling is very good and at par..

my family was with me ...and they loved the space of XC90.. the 3rd row seats are good for kids and the 2nd row is the most comfortable across all the 3 we tried...Boot space is really good with XC90 and it feels spacious for 7 people (assuming 3rd row with kids)..u feel you can breathe :)

I wont have a lot of off road usage so didn't try the rough terrain..

I'm finally going to go the XC90 route..( need to make up my mind by tomorrow as the offer runs out)...On the Exec version offers of upto 11,500 discount are available but on SE they generally don't give upto 10,000 pounds discount...and I feel the extras on "Exec" version are not worth the additional price..

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - dodo

We bought a new XC90 exactly a year ago and have not regretted it. Took it in for its yearly service recently and was told it is now worth more than we paid for it. Steve Cropley recently wrote that the XC90 is a very very good car and one that will be hard for Volvo to replace. Certainly I have never witnessed more new ones on the road so they must be selling well. ours is the last of the manuals and has the Volvo approved Polestar upgrade giving the current models 205 bhp. It does around 34 mpg and seems built from 'rock'.

I'm suprised to hear that a manual XC90 is worth more now than when new, would have thought demand for a manual XC90 would have been quite low...

Volvo XC90 - Volvo XC90 SE: Is it too tempting at the new price - dodo

Where I live (with no motorway within 50 miles) manuals rule the roost and you don't know what we bought it for ....