What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2003 - Speedometer fault - graham3232

Hi,

My 2003 petrol fiesta NON ABS model has a problem where the speedometer flicks between the actual speed and the far end of the guage e.g. at 70 MPH it will constantly flick all over between 70 and 140 mph! This also effects the auto volume on the radio. I'm hoping its a just sensor that needs cleaning, any ideas?

Ford Fiesta 2003 - Speedometer fault - amypeth

i just bought same car and speedo drops to 0, mileometer goes blank and radio/cd adjusts volume on its own... i have no idea lol

Ford Fiesta 2003 - Speedometer fault - Peter.N.

I don't really know this car but generally I would check the speed sensor plug for poor connections if OK suspect the sensor itself.

Ford Fiesta 2003 - Speedometer fault - fiestaspeedo

Hi all,

My 06 Ford Fiesta had the intermittent speedo sensor failure, which became progressively more frequent over the past year. Other symptoms included the radio going quieter when the speedometer failed and the engine temp guage also failing. This fault eventually became much worse, where when travelling at above 70 kmph when the speedometer was showing zero, the engine would lose power and then after a minute or so turn off, with the electronics on the dashboard reading --/--. Power steering and breaking also seemed to turn off when the engine turned off. This would temporally be fixed by coming to a halt, and turning the engine off and on again, and would normally need to happen twice before the speedometer began to work again. These issues seem to be shared by many.

After many hours reading forums and no help from the local ford garage. I decided to purchase a replacement speedo sensor part from eBay for $20 (www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedo-Speed-Sensor-Ford-Fiest...9). This took a lot of effort (> 4 hours) to replace, but was worth it given the ford garage quoted me at $400 for the part and labour. The hardest part, like others have said, is removing the retaining pin, but we managed with a lot of WD40, mole grips, and determination. We used a blow torch and screw driver to melt away the plastic arm of the original speedo sensor, to allow more access to the retaining pin. Now after 3 weeks, I have had no speedo faults and my car feels fine driving at speeds above 70 kmph.

I hope my experience helps anyone else who may be struggling with this fault and is not sure how to approach it.