What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2007 Ford Focus Zetec - Temperature gauge not working, fan operating - flosswoss

Hi. All of a sudden the temperature gauge has stopped working and doesn't move from cold. The fan is also operating all the time. It also tooks a couple of goes to start it which is unusual. What could this be and is it safe to drive? I haven't looked under the bonnet yet. Could it be a fuse? I'm not very technically minded I'm afraid. Thank you

2007 Ford Focus Zetec - Temperature gauge not working, fan operating - elekie&a/c doctor

I suspect there may be a problem with the engine coolant temp sensor or associated wiring/connections.Ok to drive ,but just check coolant level with engine cold.hth

2007 Ford Focus Zetec - Temperature gauge not working, fan operating - flosswoss

Thank you - I'll check it tomorrow but that doesn't sound as bad as I thought. Methinks a trip to the garage is on the cards. I'm supposed to be taking my 17 year old out for driving practice tomorrow and he probably thinks I'm inventing problems to avoid doing so. I wish I knew more about cars. Floss

Here's a bit of an update, it's a bit strange. The coolant level is a little below MIN so I'll be topping it up - have some Halfords Advanced coolant/antifreeze.

I went out in it this morning and it started OK but the temp gauge didn't move. However, when I turned off the engine the gauge needle moved to the middle (which is where it usally is after a few minutes) and went to the cold position after completely turning off the ignition. The fan was operating for most of the drive (but not straight away).

When I came back to car after half an hour it started but the revs dropped and it nearly stalled. It seems a bit odd to say the least.

All this started after filling up with petrol but this is probably a coincidence?

2007 Ford Focus Zetec - Temperature gauge not working, fan operating - jc2

The temperature sender on these controls not only fan,temp. gauge but also fuelling.

It's been mended by the Ford garage! The wiring to the ECTT sensor had rotted and needed repairing. Thanks for your advice everyone!