What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - hugomckoff

My housemate currently drives a X Reg Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 petrol.

She has a 120 mile commute everyday for her job and its currently costing her in excess of £300 per month just in petrol.

On top of that the car has done close to 100,000 miles and has quite a few issues, the most major currently being that its going through large volumes of oil every week.

There's other things wrong with it and to put it all right it would probably easily cost more then double the cars value, not only that the tax and mot are coming up.

She's looking to replace it but doesnt have loads to spend, she's looking at something upto £2,000 but the cheaper the better, ideally around the 1k if possible.

With the mileage i think she should probably be looking at a diesel. The main thing she's looking for is for something of a similar size to the fiesta - not bigger then ford focus size and similar in terms to insure. It must be alot more efficient then the current fiesta and must come with power steering.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Avant

As always with a £1k - £2k budget, condition matters more than make and model: you ideally need something that has led a reasonably easy life.

A dlesel would make sense, although older diesels are liable to expensive failure which can negate the advantage of economy. Something with the VW group 1.9 dlesel engine might be worth looking at, as this engine is long-lasting and without some of the modern appendages which can cause trouble.

Or a small Japanese petrol car like a Toyota Yaris might be more economical than the Fiesta, which I agree seems to be on its last legs.

Dare I suggest it - the word 'housemate' suggests rented accommodation which is less than permanent: maybe she should move nearer to her work?

Hi Avant

Thanks for suggestions so far...

Well she's back at home temporarily at the minute so free accomodation for the time being - we used to live 15 minutes away, long term its not a job she's planning on staying at as shes in a different city, but until she does get another one she cant give it up just yet, and the fiesta is definatley on its last legs and she'll need something else.

I think i read somewhere that the fiesta 1.3L was quite an old ford engineand maybe thats why she gets so poor mpg from it with it being an older engine design.

Anyone know what the most efficient type of car in that price range is?

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - KenC

Have a look at the Nissan Micra 1999 to 2002 models, go for the larger engine (1300 cc) five door model. If you are lucky you will find one owned by an old lady with low mileage,low fuel consumption, cheap insurance, cam chain engine and japanese reliability.

This will fit your budget BUT as with oldewr cars watch out for RUST, crawl all under the car looking for rust, one place to look is the front cross member (under the radiator) ideally you want one that has already had this item replaced.

If in doubt have the car checked out by a mechanic OR insist on a new MOT with the purchase.

Edited by KenC on 20/03/2011 at 08:33

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - daveyjp

At this price range it really is a case of better the devil you know, espcially if the bodywork is sound. She may be better spending the £1,000 to get the Fiesta sorted out.

It is an old engine design, but solid enough and easy to work on. An engine rebuild with new piston rings, valves, valve stem oil seals, cylinder head gasket etc will see the car good for another 100,000 miles.

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Pat L

>> An engine rebuild with new piston rings, valves, valve stem oil seals, cylinder head gasket etc will see the car good for another 100,000 miles.

I beg to differ here, dave. It may see the engine through another 100k but what about the gearbox, suspension, etc. I wouldn't have all that work done on an X reg car, especially a Fiesta.

If you look carefully you could find a decent one-owner, low mileage Micra, Polo, Ibiza, Leon, etc.

Yeah keeping the fiesta isn't too much of an option...

Breaks, clutch, electrics need looking at, it's about ready for a set a new tyres too. On top of the engine problems.

But again thanks for all the advice so far
Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Bleep

Has she considered a Hyundai Getz?

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Pete The Fleet

I am writing this from Denmark where I arrived on Friday in my almost 12 year old Audi 1.9TDi (diesel). It has done 195,000 miles now. I bought it for £5000 in 2005 when it had already done 133,000 miles. It was one owner from new and he used for (guess what?) a 120 mile daily commute. At the time, an MOT tester I know said not to worry about the 133K miles as if the car had not been abused, and had a daily run like that, it would run and run without major expense. He was so right. It is still on its original clutch and exhaust system. I changed the brakes all round (got a bargain impossible deal at an Audi dealer for about £250 for that.!). I have changed the cambelt once and it will soon be ready for another but that is routine. It runs as sweet as a nut.

The 110hp engine was years ahead of its time in my opinion. I had prior experience of that engine in a company 1998 VW Sharan. Fantastically economical and problem free. So I knew I couldn't go far wrong.

My Audi is the best car purchase I have ever made and I have experienced a few motors in my time, both new and used It is an A6 too, so not small, very comfortable, and I imagine it is safer than many smaller lighter cars if ever there was an unfortunate pile up. Your housemate could get the same engine in an A4 or A3 or a Passat, or a Golf.

On a 120 mile a day commute I would expect mine to deliver around 50mpg (11 miles per litre) so that would give an average daily fuel spend of around £15 at today's prices on a 120 mile commute. You might do 10% better on a smaller body like an A3.

In the UK, people seem over wary of buying high mileage vehicles which keeps the price down for people like me I guess ;-). I suppose if they are cheaper makes and get abused by earlier owners then there is good reason for it. However, like Avant siad earlier, I would not hesitate to recommend used VAG diesels, including Skoda purely for their outstanding design, build quality, reliability and robustness.

If I were selling mine now, I bet I'd be lucky to get offered more than £1,500 for it, yet it still looks good, drives like it is almost new and for the last few days at least has led the way up and down the motorways of Europe!

Edited by Pete The Fleet on 21/03/2011 at 12:20

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Frank01

I drive between West Sussex and Birmingham, not every day but still approx 165 miles each way.

I have a Rover Streewise 2.0 Ltr diesel. The engine is bombproof and I achieve approx 53 mpg. It is an attractive car and the SE model is well equiped. Air- con etc

Spares are readily available if required and the car can be bought at around £2000 for a 2004 model. Worth considering

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - griffman500

look out for a clio diesel - 60mpg easily achievable

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - RaineMan

Friend recently brought a late shape Ka. She finds it much more economical that her previous "R" reg and it has PAS. The old one was starting to smoke but it was approaching 150k!

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Big John

For a cheap commute car how about a car with the VAG sdi (non turbo)engine fitted to VW Polo, Seat Ibiza & Skoda Fabia. Its a little gruff but real life economy is excellent , my lift share had an Ibiza 1.9sdi that averaged in excess of 65(mixture of town, A road and standing/slow traffic). It is usually cheaper to buy as the non turbo version is less popular but propels these smaller cars suprisingly well. There is no turbo lag(obviously) so it pulls like a steam train from very low revs. The big plus is that the engine is generally reliable if well maintaied (regular oil/coolant refresh, cam belt/water pump injectors@100k) and there are no complex electronics & management systems on these engines(i.e. cheap to fix) - ideal when buying an older cheaper car.

The replacement for the Ibiza was a Peugeot 207 1.4hdi, economy not quite as good (not far off though - about 62) but it has terrible turbo lag, awful setting off at junctions.

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - perleman

What is the first bit of her reg? sounds like my old car, X373 D** ... bit of a long shot I know!!

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - jamie745

I used to have a Peugeot 406 HDi Exec Auto when i was doing alot of miles, the HDi engines of the Peugeot's i've always found to be very good, but the 1.4 is too slow. I know the 406 is a big car but it never gave me any problems in three years of owning it, the only reason i dont have it now is some silly bint in a Vauxhall Zafira managed to crash into it in a car park.

A 306 HDi should return a good 50mpg or better if driven on motorways and a good one, even if it is high mileage could be picked up for around a grand now i would think. Diesel engines generally last alot longer than petrol so a mileage of 100k plus shouldnt be a massive turn off providing its in good condition with a good service history.

But you say its costing over £300 a month, if she's doing 5 days a week thats 600 miles a week. 2400 a month, if thats the case i think she's performing a minor miracle to do that on £300 worth of petrol at todays prices. Obviously i dont know her working pattern but if it is a typical 5 day week then i cant think of many cars in that price bracket, diesel or otherwise which would better that. A good Peugeot HDi might save £50 off that monthly bill.

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - MJL

Try a 6 speed Renault Megane 1.9 diesel. I commuted until recently 80 miles into London each day. Got 50 ish mpg, was comfortable and as fast as your licence lets you be. The 6 speed gives very long legs. You can buy them for around or slightly under 2k for a 2004. They have a reputation for odd electricla glitches like windows stopping working, but I've never had any problems (and have a copy of how to solve the windows in the glove box just in case). Only problem is how to stay under the speed limit.....

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - Boulder2k9

I would definitely recommend a VW Polo diesel but go for the understated saloon version as these are much less sought after than the hatchback. The SDI models are seriously slow so try and find a TDI like this one for example, seems like a good buy TDI with low miles, perfect

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201113383525984/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/2000/model/polo/make/volkswagen/page/1/postcode/sw1a0aa/radius/1501?logcode=p

Not Sure What Car to Buy - 120mile commute - mr thicky

look for an x or thereabouts 1.4 polo turbo diesel .sips fuel and thinks it's a 2.0 litre .had one for eight years .brilliant.