What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - craig-pd130

I'm in the process of getting myself a new company car. No car to trade-in, and the new one will be a contract hire via the manufacturer's own business finance house, so a nice bit of commission for the dealer, plus ongoing locked-in service revenue.

Yet a major Ford dealer let me down, having promised a car matching my requirements for delivery in February. Apparently the car 'disappeared' from their system, despite their assurances to me that they had reserved it, and it was 'definitely yours'. This is the same dealer chain I sourced my current car from.

With at least a two month wait for a factory build on a bog-standard Mondeo Zetec diesel estate, I told them to forget it and will not be doing business with them again.

Now a major Volvo dealer is seemingly unable to procure me a bog-standard V60 D3 estate to test drive via Volvo's central fleet. It's taken them 10 days to come up with nothing.

How do these dealers actually manage to stay in business?

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - Roly93

My local Ford dealer admitted to me that they had only sold 2 cars a couple of Saturdays ago, pretty shocking for a sizeable dealership..

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - Avant

Craig, I can only suggest that you go and visit a Skoda dealer. I picked up my new Octavia vRS estate this morning from Jewsons of Oxford: factory build and 12 weeks, exactly as they said.

As I've reported here before, my first Octavia was in for its 20,000 mile service and the sales team prepared a quote, without my even asking, for a new similar model at £80 a month less than I was paying. A no-brainer - but the point is that they wanted to sell. Like you I can't understand why so many of them - mostly on a low basic salary + commission - don't make the effort.

Car salespeople are lucky - most people actually want to buy a car and enjoy the process, as opposed to, say, insurance or cleaning materials. It should be easy to make the whole experience enjoyable - mine was, both times from this dealer. Maybe Oxfordshire is a good place to buy cars: Cross Roads Garage (Renault) are also absolutely excellent.

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - Buster Cambelt

Skoda have been absolutely appalling in terms of product quality and customer service. All the more surprising since the local(ish) dealers know that each was in the running for the company's business. Not the slightest chance now!

Best service recently has been for SWMBO's FIAT.

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - NARU

For test drives, the trick is not going via the dealer.

When I wanted to test a ford company car, I went through their company car club (talkback) and it was delivered to my home - and from central stock, not by the local dealer

Edited by Marlot on 12/03/2011 at 07:57

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - RT

Most of the manufacturers do something similar - it's one of their justifications in "management" car and daily rental car schemes.

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - oldroverboy

I am now retired, so smaller budget, and when i was looking last summer at various new kia ceed's and hyundai i30's it was a 12-14 week wait for the basic colour car but if i wanted to take what was in stock which was more expensive and more extras available immediately. It's the same EVERYWHERE in the motortrade. in the end looked at a few cars in dealerships + a couple of the car supermarkets and got a nearly new car from a dealership at a silly low price, because unloved model/type of car, but got really good deal, car was supagarded and had balance of manufacturers warranty and by buying nearly new saved myself a lot of money. (at the time new ceed £11,000 basic car, i 30 approx same both 1.4 petrol. got chevrolet epica vcdi turbo diesel £4000 less! (£6745) But if you are a company car driver less room to compomise, car must be new! Also had experience of visiting a dealer while wales playing france at Rugby (2007)and all the salemen watching the match so got ignored, result walked out went elsewhere (50 miles away) and bought a car from a saleman who was courteous, helpful and gave a decent acceptable valuation for my trade in. bought same model i was looking at too. Importer not bothered when i called.

Had the same experience too 2 years ago when i went to a jaguar dealers, couldn't care less.

if they can't be bothered, why should i care if they only sell2 cars a month. Sooner they're out of business the better!

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - bonzo dog

Hi all, a few points, if I may:

1. Many of them are not staying in business; poor customer service? .... possibly in some cases but largely due to a lack of customers, a lack of both new & used car stock (to sell to those who do want to buy), new car margins of in some cases ££zero.
  2. Manufacturers have gone from over-producing with the car you want NOW in their holding compound to producing what they believe the market wants. Unfortunately the time from deciding what to build to it arriving at a dealer can be (as has been stated) up to 3 months & unlike Avant, customers often refuse to accept that multi-million £ production lines aren't geared up to produce solely for them
  3. Given the sortage of supply, should a dealer keep cars in stock for others to test drive or sell them to customers who want to buy? The OP complains that he can't buy but also can't demo. What would you do if it were your dealership?
  4. That the Ford dealer in question has promised you a car then fails to deliver is disgraceful & yes, deserves no business. Can I just ask, did you actually place an order?
  5. Car sales people "lucky"; not my experience. Many of them are poor at their job, granted, but then again given they earn very low basic saleries & the commissions are not there at present, I'm glad I'm not one. Any volunteers out there to work 3 out of 4 weekends plus 9 till 7 or 8 weekdays (4 out of 5), no dinner hour, getting called in on days off - none of which attracts overtime - eh?
Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - craig-pd130

@ Bonzo, yes, I had signed forms accepting the quoted contract hire rate, been cleared through credit checks etc. The car was built and in their holding compound in Holland, they said, then it 'disappeared' -- i.e. they told me they'd requisitioned it, but hadn't actually done so.

My complaint with Volvo is that the dealer is supposed to be getting a test-drive car from Volvo central stock -- I've been waiting for the demo centre to contact me for a week, despite several reminders via the dealer. All I need is a phone call saying "you can have a car to test next week / the week after / on such-and-such a date". Even this seems to be beyond them.

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - oldroverboy

Equally I am sure that if you accept what is available ie more expesive top of the range, there will be a car for you. The trade wants to make more money out of the customer!

Ford and Volvo - How do some dealers actually stay in business? - expat

I found similar lack of interest from large city dealers. I use a small country dealership in the town I live in. They are helpful, they will do a deal and they are there if there are any problems later. I tell my friends in the city to try the small country dealerships for new car purchases. A smaller dealer has fewer customers so you are more important to them. They aren't paying big city rents on their premises so you can negotiate a deal with them.