What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - mercury

your help please. in order to pass mot in january 2010 ka needed new steering rack and power pump because i had slid in the ice and hit kerb. this was done at over £1000 andd car passed mot. the mot was done same time 2011 and all ok but within 2 weeks steering felt wrong, i monitored it a few days and took it back to the ford dealership garage that i have always used, their manager said the steering pump had gone again and he commented it was very unusual in such a short time. i only did 4500 miles in that year. he said he would contact ford uk to see if they would help financially, or make a decision. they were far from helpful and would not help in anyway. i have now directed my concerns in writing to the dealership asking for their comments. i have quoted the sale of goods act, saying if the part was faulty and not up to the job a new one should be fitted at their cost. i was left with no choice to pay up and get it done because the garage held onto the car for over a week waiting for decisions from ford uk. what action do you think i need to do next

ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - LucyBC
A new part should not fail in two weeks so assuming it was fitted correctly the chances are it was defective. Your contract is with the dealer who supplied and fitted the pump, hence if you view it as not fit for purpose then your case is against them.

The Sale of Goods Act is the bedrock in these cases. Any warranty on the part sits on top of it.

I can attempt to negotiate a resolution for you or you could bring an action in the small claims court. Contact me via asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk if you need further assistance.
ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - Falkirk Bairn

PUMP

Bought & Fitted Jan 2010

Failed 2011 - 50+ weeks not a few weeks

ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - LucyBC
Point taken - I think I misread it, or the OP "miswrote" it :-)
ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - bonzo dog

To the best of my knowledge SOGA allows claims for "defective" goods up to 6 years post sale, but to what time scale / useage should repair or replacement be enforced?

We all know that in the case of used cars this will very much depend on the age / mileage / condition & price at time of sale, but what about new goods?

I have a washing machine which was 2 years old & so 12 months out of warranty when it broke down. I politely informed the manufacturer that their product shouldn't pack up after only 2 years & that they should fix it at their cost - they did.

But what have the courts actually said in terms of how long NEW electrical goods (such as PAS pump) should last for? Lucy?

Edited by bonzo dog on 06/03/2011 at 10:21

To the best of my knowledge SOGA allows claims for "defective" goods up to 6 years post sale, but to what time scale / useage should repair or replacement be enforced?

We all know that in the case of used cars this will very much depend on the age / mileage / condition & price at time of sale, but what about new goods?

I have a washing machine which was 2 years old & so 12 months out of warranty when it broke down. I politely informed the manufacturer that their product shouldn't pack up after only 2 years & that they should fix it at their cost - they did.

But what have the courts actually said in terms of how long NEW electrical goods (such as PAS pump) should last for? Lucy?

my problem is how long a power steering pump should last on a 2004 ford ka, i only did 4500 miles in the year since a new one fitted in january 2010 , needed to get through mot. the pump passed mot january 2011, but then failed 2 weeks after garage had it in for the mot. the garage manager said a year, at low mileage was too soon. do not know where we stand - had to pay up and get it replaced, but how do you begin to proove it could have been faulty ? had car for 6 years and the pump was fine all that time, so hence one year seems wrong to fail. has this happened to anyone else out there? written to ford uk like garage said i should, but they not helpful and have fudged the issue, have written to them and now officially to ford dealership and the garage that has looked after the car in the time i have ownership of it, in fact i bought the car from them so they have full service history.

ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - bonzo dog

but how do you begin to proove it could have been faulty ?

The pump is faulty; do you mean prove it was faulty at purchase?

You don't have to, as far as I know. Goods have to be "durable" the question is for how long?

but how do you begin to proove it could have been faulty ?

The pump is faulty; do you mean prove it was faulty at purchase?

You don't have to, as far as I know. Goods have to be "durable" the question is for how long?

thanks for your reply but how do you get a garage to proove pump was not fitted properly or that the part was faulty for it to fail so quickly, legally everything is on the garages side who will cover their tracks for the good of their reputation and for their street cred with ford uk. in the meantime i cannot trust what they are saying

ford ka 2004 - steering pump one day out of warranty - Vitesse6

You say the Manager has said that the fail was premature, and also that for a pump to fail after 12 months was "unusual" so you could be pushing on an open door to get them to pick up all or at least most of the bill.

If you get no joy with that, play the card that you have been a loyal customer for several years, having bought the car from them and paid them to look after it. Ask if loyalty counts for nothing, as next time you need a car, you will remember what he says, and also that you will tell all your friends, relations, colleagues, in fact anyone who will listen to you what his answer to your question is.