What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 (02) - Not starting first time - stickymonk

Hello

I am having some issues with my Mondeo, it is struggling to start on the first, sometimes second attempt, I have been told this might be either a cam sensor or crank sensor issue.

There is no problems when it is started, and has had a recent sparkplug change.

I would appreciate some help with this before I start spending money on doing things that might not need changing.

Cheers

Matthew

Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 (02) - Not starting first time - elekie&a/c doctor
The engine control system on these is very robust and is not known for any particular sensor issues.Is the battery up to strength and are you using the correct engine oil?A diagnostic check may give an indication of any problem area.hth

Thanks for the reply

The oil I am not sure about, thats next on my list to do along with the air filter, A friend of mine put it on a computer at a BMW garage but did not show any faults but said that the readings took a long time to come in.

Thanks

Matthew

Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 (02) - Not starting first time - injection doc

It may be worth a fuel pressure check, I suspect the injectors are dribbling and loosing pressure in the rail. This also floods the engine and makes it slow to restart !

I used to remove injector rails when hot and place the rail on brown paper and leave overnight. If there were any stains on the brown paper it proves the injectors are dribbling

Thanks for the reply, although not what I was hoping to hear as I am guessing this would be an expensive problem!

This is beyond my ability to check out so I will give my friend a call.

Cheers

Matthew

A new developement on this, it is now using a LOT of fuel, on my drive to work which is about 2 miles it is averaging 14-15mpg! I used to get about 30mpg on this run.

help!

Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 (02) - Not starting first time - elekie&a/c doctor

I would suggest that you get the live data read out of the engine control unit.It is possible that the engine coolant temp sensor has gone out of range and thinks the engine is running cooler than actual value.This may not log a fault code as the sensor is still working within its parameter.hth

Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 (02) - Not starting first time - unthrottled
Possibly. But a modern engine reduces enrichment very quickly after a cold start. The extra fuel consumption is largely due to the extra friction of cold parts. THE OP is reporting a 50% increase in consumption. The engine must be suffering driveability problems at this point. Does it stumble, hunt at idle, white smoke from exhaust...?