What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A6 2.0 Sline 140/ merc A150 avantgard - A6 vs A150 - brendank
Two extremes... Considering a 55k 2005 Merc A150 avantgard to replace a s-erg Mazda 626 we've had for 10 years...

Merc comfortable, great nick, maybe overpriced at £5500?

Then my brother offers his Company Car - a 2005 Audi a6, 130k on clock, immaculate inside and out - he is particular!! - serviced to the hilt, clutch and gearbox already renewed (ominous?). He'd ensure it was serviced before handover, replace tyres if not much life in them... Price? Basically their transport manager gets a local dealer to advise them a price, then let staff decide if they want to pitch in first...what car estimate was £4500 - how accurate might that be?

I'd hope to run either car for 5 years, 10k miles per year...subject to no unforeseen disasters, any thoughts on running costs?
Petrol/ diesel
Insurance
Servicing
Consumables? Pads discs exhaust batteries

Cheers
Audi A6 2.0 Sline 140/ merc A150 avantgard - A6 vs A150 - oldtoffee

Whatever the difference is on costs in running the Merc vs Audi, it could be dwarfed by a big repair bill on either and that may happen sometime in the life of a 10 year old car. So I'd probably ignore the mileage difference and go for the Audi as its provenance is known and service history is genuine.

If you look at as you suggest "subject to unforeseen disasters" then the Merc will probably cost a bit less to run and at at 100k versus the Audi approaching 200k be worth a bit more in 5 years time.

Just out of interest I dipped into the Review section of this site and checked out the "What's bad?" tab on each car and now I'm not sure I'd buy either!

Audi A6 2.0 Sline 140/ merc A150 avantgard - A6 vs A150 - craig-pd130

The Audi does sound attractive, largely because its history and service record is known to you ... whereas the Merc just has a service book which can hide a multitude of problems.