What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Puma 1.7 - Over revving on acceleration - neil99

My wife's puma over revs when trying to accelerate at speed. The higher the gear the worse it is. My local garage changed a control unit on the engine but the problem still persists. Does seem worse in these cold conditions. Does anyone have any ideas what to try next. Many thanks.

Ford Puma 1.7 - Over revving on acceleration - Peter.N.

Do you mean it accelerates without your foot on the throttle or that the engine accelerates faster than the car? If its the latter, sounds as though the clutch is slipping - assuming its manual.

Ford Puma 1.7 - Over revving on acceleration - neil99

it over revs with my foot on the throttle ie when trying to accelerate from a speed not from standstill. There is no obvious clutch slipping clues like poor bite when setting off. It may be a coincidence but seems to be worse in these sub zero temperatures - if it ever warms up I will be able to compare. Hope this helps.

Ford Puma 1.7 - Over revving on acceleration - Cymrogwyllt

sounds like the clutch is on it's way out or needs adjustment. Try and avoid the situation by accelerating less harshly in a high gear or even changing down a gear and using gentle acceleration. If you allow it to happen you run the risk of burning the clutch surfaces and needing a new one

Ford Puma 1.7 - Over revving on acceleration - Peter.N.

Watch the rev counter, if it goes up independently of speed increase - your clutch is slipping. As has been said, don't let it slip or it will fail very quickly, drive it gently and it could last thousands of miles.