What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2008 ford ka - gear ratio - flyingspud
Dont know how i missed finding out about later cam chain ka fuel consumption but its now costing me £10 week more than my old ka. As i intend to keep it for years and spend out on body repairs rather tgan risk another cambelt, that money will have gone in petrol. I am sreiously thinking about having the gear ratio changed to old ka level. This must be possible. Are the gearboxes idemtical and roughly how long a job. ?!! Thank you.
2008 ford ka - gear ratio - Cris_on_the_gas

That's a big outlay to save £10 a week

Over 5 years its not!
2008 ford ka - gear ratio - bathtub tom

Don't you think the manufacturer has already done the best they can? The more economical it is, the lower the emissions, the lower the tax band.

If you're really determined to change the overall gearing, it may be cheaper to fit larger tyres or wheels and tyres.

2008 ford ka - gear ratio - madf

You would be far better with

1. a full service using synthetic engine and gearbox oil. Check emissions.

2. Using energy efficient tyres. And check pressures weekly

3. Driving carefully.

If you , on the other hand, can redesign the Ka to be more fuel efficient than Ford, I'd love to see the calculations..:-)

Edited by madf on 16/12/2010 at 16:38

2008 ford ka - gear ratio - jc2

IIRC different FDR with A/C.Go to Ford Etis website.There you can type in reg. no. or vin number of both cars and it will give you the spec.

Edited by jc2 on 16/12/2010 at 17:36

2008 ford ka - gear ratio - Collos25

Instead of changing the gearbox change the final drive ratio.Changing this or the gearbox is a total waste of time as far as fuel consumption is concerned.

Ford appantly redesigned the 46 mpg to 35 for its final year to make it quicker. The old one was much slower. I have it that a lot of this was gear ratio. If thats all i want it put back!I didnt know it wS possible to check on ford site for comparisons. Thank you