Ford Fiesta mk3.5 - Ford Fiesta MK3.5 - won't start, click relays - RS_1800

The car is a 1995 ford fiesta rs1800 (mk3.5), it's the facelift version of the mk3's, a few differences such as PATS, flap fuel cap etc.

The car wouldnt start, so stright away i decided to do a good service as was about time, spark plugs, ht leads and ignition pack (it's a distributless ignition coil). Now the other thing i thought to check was the crank sensor (which appears fine).

Still nothing, it won't start. It cranks over, at the very most will appear to start and then die which it will only do ocasionly, however when checking the spark plugs for a spark (nothing visible), so it really is intermitent.

Also the relays are clicking, and some of the solenoids behind the efi inlet manifold when i try and start the car, it's honestly click, click, click (stops), click click click click click and then it will go and then start..... lol

I've done some research and found out the ford fiesta mk'3s suffer from electrical faults (which is what i beleive this), apparently relays have a tendency of getting condensation and ignition switches ark internally. < I will check this tommoro.

But i just realised that it could be another thing, a few months ago i removed the airbag to replace the wheel with a momo one. I used a resister to trick the airbag module to think the airbags was still their and keep the light off. No airbag light on though...

Thanks if anyone can help, i'm s*** on electrics. lol

Edited by RS_1800 on 16/12/2010 at 00:49

Ford Fiesta mk3.5 - Ford Fiesta MK3.5 - won't start, click relays - elekie&a/c doctor

Relays and ignition switches on these are fairly reliable.I would be looking at low voltage on the system ,battery or connections .Also check the earth lead from battery to engine and chassis and also the group of earth leads attached to the negative side of the battery.hth

Ford Fiesta mk3.5 - Ford Fiesta MK3.5 - won't start, click relays - elekie&a/c doctor

Relays and ignition switches on these are fairly reliable.I would be looking at low voltage on the system ,battery or connections .Also check the earth lead from battery to engine and chassis and also the group of earth leads attached to the negative side of the battery.hth

Ford Fiesta mk3.5 - Ford Fiesta MK3.5 - won't start, click relays - RS_1800

Well it's defently a short circuit. The relays are clicking back and foward consistantly when trying to start the engine, so that wouldnt be an earthing problem but rather a short circuit. Right?

I did have a look at the earths and they appear to be fine.

Ford Fiesta mk3.5 - Ford Fiesta MK3.5 - won't start, click relays - madf

You CANNOT test earths by looking at them.

Undo, clean off rust/gunge. Redo..

A short circuit will either blow a fuse or produce smoke from burning wiring.So i don't think this is the case here.hth

Ford Fiesta mk3.5 - Ford Fiesta MK3.5 - won't start, click relays - Peter D

How did you check the crank sensor. You should check the clicking is not the fuel pump relay. Removing an airbag may directly effect your insurance. Regards Peter