What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Megane Cabriolet 1.6 CC 98 S Plate - Renault Megane - Rendom Engine Reving - ScoobyJones

Hi All - First time poster.

I have read the numerous posts about the Megane Reving Problems but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

My car was fine until about 3 months ago when it started exhibiting random engine revs.

Sometimes it simply cuts out if put in Neutral (not that often).

More often than not the problem is the engine revs too high. It can be fine and then all of a sudden I am aware that the engine is pulling (like an automatic in drive or an old fashioned "choke" being out"). Quite often when this happens if in neutral the engine "revs" itself like a boy racer tapping the throttle and the revs bouce between 1500 and 2000. After a while it may then rev up to 4000 (but not always).

I am forced to bring the revs under control using the clutch (almost stalling the car to lower the revs) but as soon as I pull off again the problem happens again. Reving the engine when it is doing this does not help. Occasionally stalling the engine seems to make it bahave normally again.

I have a local mechanic who *thinks* it will be cured by replacing the air flow meter and throttle housing but as he is not 100% sure I am reluctant to chance buying the part to find it hasnt cured it.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance to those that help!