What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - ford fiesta 1.8 tdi (di endura engine) wont start - pscott78

car cut out without warning and wont start i have no ignition light except the battery and oil light which are on permanetly even with no key in

i have checked the fuses and seem to be ok

please help

Ford Fiesta - ford fiesta 1.8 tdi (di endura engine) wont start - tdc

Sounds like ignition switch is mashed up inside.Have you disconnected the battery whilst you`re not around your vehicle?I have seen ignition switches smoking away merrily.

Do you own a basic circuit tester & are you competent enough to remove steering column plastic shrouds and bypass your switch?

Just out of interest,do you have a huge bunch of keys wanging around on your ignition key fob as you drive,this has been known to wear a switch out!

thanks for the reply just took a friend to the car and the starter motor plug is cracked the car did try to start but no heater plug lights or any for that matter could this be an earth? can this plug be replaced? i did disconnect the battery lead for peace of mind.

any more help would be great thanks

Edited by pscott78 on 28/11/2010 at 19:12

Can you give a bit more info,year,mileage?

If you`ve run over or knocked starter on something you could have a problem.Starter is low down and plastic covers do come off and corrosion can set in. Always worthwhile removing any leads +or- and cleaning them up.

Did the engine turn over on the key.

its a 2002 on a (51 plate ) done 50k just had new altenator and starter 5 weeks ago looks like the lead that comes from the battery ane the lead from the starter theres a joining clip, that is damaged. the inner connectors are toutching but outer plastic is damaged could this cause the problem? any thanks again

Sounds like you`ve found the problem.Usually when faults appear straight after something`s been changed there`s a link.

You will need to remove all the connectors from the main plastic block and fit individual connectors making sure all connections are secure with no bare wires touching.Then check the fuse box and replace any blown fuses with the correct amperage fuse .