What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate 2002 2.0d - Tailgate Gremlin - Alby Back

My Mondeo estate has started to do a strange thing. It releases the tailgate whenever you start the engine. So, once the engine is running you have to get out and shut the tailgate. Then it stays shut for that journey. There is a way around this which is to lock the doors from the inside before turning the key and this prevents the tailgate from opening so it's no big deal yet anyway.

I suspect a bewitched microswitch in the tailgate locking mechanism. Any other theories ?

Ford Mondeo Estate 2002 2.0d - Tailgate Gremlin - elekie&a/c doctor

I had a similar fault on my mondeo estate.Replaced the paddle microswitch on the tailgate and all is well.Sits behind the rubber touch pad.hth

Ford Mondeo Estate 2002 2.0d - Tailgate Gremlin - injection doc
check the earth straps that corrode on the front chassis legs & clean the eyelets

Thanks guys.

Ford Mondeo Estate 2002 2.0d - Tailgate Gremlin - over30

The locking motors also develop faults.

My Dad had a 2001 2.5 v6 Ghia X estate, which had the rather strange habit of popping the boot open when you selected reverse gear!!

This was due to a faulty tailgate locking motor beleive it or not!

Edited by over30 on 19/11/2010 at 20:49

Well, funnily enough, mine is a Ghia X but the diesel model. However, I'm sure the trim level has nothing much to do with the mechanics of the tailgate ! Thanks for the tip re the locking motor. I'll investigate that too. It's one of those things which sort of niggles at you until you have to mess with it ! Should probably leave it alone...

Ford Mondeo Estate 2002 2.0d - Tailgate Gremlin - over30

My father investigated the problem by kicking hell out of the tailgate lid after this had happened for over 6 months.

I fiited a second hand tailgate locking motor for him, and this fixed the problem!