What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - the_bandit

MK3 Galaxy - 2.0 TDCi - 2007

Have tried to identify the source of this noise for a while now but have been unsuccessful. Dealer also unable to replicate fault.

Approx 2-4mins after switching engine off a noise coming from the engine bay can be heard which last for about 5secs. It starts at its loudest and then fades away to nothing in the last couple of seconds. Best way to describe it would be a deep sounding tuning fork which is struck and shortly after fades away.

I've tried to find scenarios where I can confidently get this sound to occur but I just can't find any. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't !!

However at the weekend I had a new scenario where this fault was occurring. About halfway through the Blackpool Illuminations at the weekend it started happening again. Occurring most times when at idle I could feel a great deal of vibration through the pedals and floor pan in addition to the noise.

I suspect it could be the electro-power steering motor but would appreciate the experience of others if this has happened to you.

Thanks.

Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - Ernied

I've a similar noise on some Ford Transits. Turned out to be the EGR system purging after shutdown.

Edited by Ernied on 22/10/2010 at 23:42

Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - the_bandit

Thanks for your reply.

Was it classed as a fault and replaced ??

Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - Peter D

Turn off the A/C and try it for a while. Regards Peter

Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - Ben 10

Chippy Minton effect ;-)

Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - Peter.N.

That might be an excellent description! Wish I could think of things like that.

Ford Galaxy - What's this noise after engine shut down? - Peter.N.

Shouldn't that be 'Windy Miller'?