What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Water in oil filler cap - biggdigit
Just bought a second hand mk 4 S reg 1.6 se golf 60000 miles full dealer service history,trouble is water in oil filler cap though no mayo,have done 250 miles could it be condensation or worse still head gasket/oil cooler.(the waranty is main dealer one month satisfactory repaire or replace with simlar veihicle and 12 month vag waranty).Has any one else had this problem with mk 4 golf.
Water in oil filler cap - Peter D
Register the fault straightaway in writing. Then see if you can sort it. Are you loosing water, and sign of water on the dip stick ??.

This car may ahve been a September trade in so may have stood for some time therefore might just be condensation. Celaen it out and change the oil if in doubt and go for a good run.

Regards

Peter
Thankyou for the info Peter,will do as you sugest.
Bigdigit.
Water in oil filler cap - Dizzy {P}
I think you are right in asking if anyone else has had this "with a mk 4 Golf" because these sort of symptoms vary from car to car. They also depend very much on the type of use and I wonder if the 250 miles you have done was of the type of driving that should have blown out any condensation that may have formed whilst the car was standing (bearing in mind that the weather has been cool and damp lately).

I would check again the day after the car has had a good run and see if water is still collecting. Good idea anyway to follow the advice to let the dealer know in writing ASAP that there appears to be a problem -- just in case.

My expectation is that everything is OK and the water is just the result of condensation. There is quite a large volume in the oil-side of engines (crankcase, rocker cover, etc) where condensation can take place and the oil filler cap can easily remain cool enough for this not to 'burn off'.
Thankyou for the info Dizzy,turned out to be condensation,gave the car a 2hour run, left oil cap off for an hour then put it back on and next morning inspected it,it was bone dry.
regards bigdigit.
Water in oil filler cap - Armitage Shanks{P}
Another problem solved by the vast mine of info available on this site, and given for nothing too! What a good site this is! I had a problem solved the same way a few months ago - 2 hours posted on here produced a result to a problem that had foxed a main dealer for a week!